Logo

Ted Williams 99 CDI Ignition

magnum7269

"We have an old Ted Williams 9

"We have an old Ted Williams 9.9 model 217-58621-0 and the lower cylinder of the ignition went out/quit firing. So we bought a new ignition by CDI Electronics which is the replacement part for this engine and very expensive lol. We get fire to both cylinders and alot of the power back now, but it misses very badly with the new ignition. With the old ignition it ran good until it broke down. We tried moving it in a few positions thinking it may be slightly out of time or something, but no good there either. So we just set it back close to where the original ignition was. Thanks for any help or ideas on what may be the problem."

"Probably need that white coil

"Probably need that white coil too. Find out which cylinder is missing and switch the coils. If it follows the coil that's it. Is most likely the cause of the cdi failure.

If the sparks are good, you may have a seal failure, or that ported crankshaft is worn out to the point your not getting proper fuel distribution."

"Thanks for the reply, we did

"Thanks for the reply, we did swap the transformer coils when the old ignition went out and it fired good on the upper cylinder on both transformer coils, and not at all on the lower cylinder with both. may check out the transformer coils more closely now that you mention it (only checked for fire when installing the new ignition). The old ignition would kick in and start firing on the lower cylinder a couple times before it completely went out and it ran good when it did (though when it wasn't firing on the lower cylinder, power was awful lol). So I'm thinking its more than likely in the ignition/transformer part of the engine. Thanks again and any more helpful ideas is appreciated."

Did they include the little pi

Did they include the little piece of information with the new cdi -not to spin the flywheel with out the coils attached? just one spin and she is again toast. You can not test them for out put. If this is the case?? I have made 2 for one when they would do what yours is doing.

"Yea I knew about that, defini

"Yea I knew about that, definitely had the ignition hooked to the transformer coils before cranking. We tested both cylinders, it will run on each cylinder alone but has about the same bad miss on both (we did have a plug grounded on the non-used cylinder while testing just to make be on the safe side). Basicly done this to see if maybe one of coils wasn't firing properly. The old ignition would run on the one good coil it had on one cylinder too, but didn't miss anywhere near as bad. Don't really want to have to try to make one out of two with a new ignition, but may end up trying it."

Back