Logo

Exhaust leakCorroded Heads

nineg

"I have a 1972 Luhrs with a 31

"I have a 1972 Luhrs with a 318 chrysler in it. I put new manifolds and risers in last year, and had an exhaust leak. I though I just didn't torque the manifolds down correctly, but now i find out the heads are corroded where they mate up with the manifolds...thus the exhaust leak. I don't really have the dough to put new heads on this season.
has anyone had any luck using JB Weld or other epoxy to repair/smooth over corroded heads? I thought i might be able to do it for a season."

"THe J B Weld might work, but

"THe J B Weld might work, but I'd go with double exhaust manifold gaskets as well. Use studs instead of bolts to hold the manifolds on and tighten them repeatedly as the parts warm up.

Jeff"

"brendan,
I used JB weld to r

"brendan,
I used JB weld to repair a low spot in my intake manifold. Go slow, be patient, let it dry and work it down slowly. Add two gaskets like Jeff says. Betcha it will work fine."

"Okay, but remember to tighten

"Okay, but remember to tighten them down good, and keep doing it as the motor warms up.

I had a new gasket on mine that was fine last year, but started leaking THIS year. (Grrr!) I retightened the bolts and that ugly sound went away. Okay?

Jeff

PS: One more thing I just thought of: Are you using one piece exhaust gaskets or those miserable three piece deals? If the latter, THAT could be your problem. Those little end gaskets can go on 3 or 4 ways, but only one way is correct. And they always LOOK like you have 'em on the right way when you don't! I put one on at least 4 times once before I got the SOB right! (Boy, was I pissed that day.) I now use ONLY the one piece gaskets, available at NAPA: Fel Pro # 93749 (or # MS9939) gaskets for a 273 cube Chrysler V-8. "

Ah-hah! That alone might be t

Ah-hah! That alone might be the reason for your exhaust leak. (Dammed easy to mess up those end gaskets.)

Let's hope so.

Jeff

"so i think the jb weld will w

"so i think the jb weld will work, i got a very smooth even surface, and i'm going to re-mount the manifolds this weekend, using 2 sets of gaskets.
any advice on mounting the manifolds? any advice on the order of tightening the bolts? or will it even make a difference?"

"Brendan: Start with the cent

"Brendan: Start with the center, then go to the outsides.

Ted: No. Heat exchangers only.

Jeff"

Just went through this 2 days

Just went through this 2 days ago. 3 piece gaskests Just don't do it.
Cast manifold against head. No gasket! small bead of Hi temp silicone 650 f.
Works sweet...............
Old school 30 years ago

i have single piece gaskets th

i have single piece gaskets that i'm going to use... but maybe i'll use a bead of silicone as well... thoughts?

"Would hurt to use silly-cone

"Would hurt to use silly-cone there, but don't ever use it where it can get inside the water jacket (and plug the risers).

Those 3 piece exhaust gaskets should be illegal!

Jeff"

"Ugh! The ~@(@$% changed

"Ugh! The ~@(@$% changed it, for it used to be okay.

Try NAPA for a 273 cube Dodge engine.

Jeff"

Back