Logo

Carb issues on a 6HP2007 model

nondem

You guys have always been VERY

You guys have always been VERY helpful in the past and I appreciate it. I've got another dilemma:
Like the title says - this is about a 2007 Tohatsu 6.
I own the 6HP Nissan version (2008) of this motor myself and have put a 6HP carb on another 4HP Tohatsu(2007) in the past - Worked fine by the way.
This is a friends motor that has about 5 hours on it if that. About a year ago he went to use it for about the third time and it "wouldn't start". He let it sit in his shed till now when he finally brought it over for me to look at it.
While I set it up in my test tank(5 gallon bucket under the stand) - I noticed the kill lanyard was missing.
Put the one off my Nissan on it and it busted right off.
Then I notice it was blowing fuel out of the carb overflow. AKA the float was sticking.

Pulled the carb off and removed the bowl.
Now for the question: How does the float come off???? I need to clean the float-valve. The seems to be no obvious way to get it off. The float "axle" doesn't look like it slides out like in most carbs I've seen.

Another question since I'm gonna be maintaining about three of these motors: Is there some trick to the inside bolt that holds the carb on? The long 10mm one w/a phillips head??? I've been able to get it off each time but I keep thinking I'm missing some trick-tool that makes it easier.

Oh and ONE MORE question: Does anyone know what comes with the repair kit? I assume the float doesn't???

"I want you to stare at the fl

"I want you to stare at the float...Then stare at the pin that runs through the float hinge..Now what holds that pin down

Phillips head on an angle is the fastest way. The correct way involves pulling off the starter and wastes too much time.

The repair kit comes with all the replaceable parts of the carb....Most of which would not need to be replaced. In fact, I would urge you to just clean the carb and put it back together again without any new parts. It would be be unusual if anything really needed to be replaced.

Also, the 5 gallon pail...Nowhere near enough water to run the engine. The pump will pickup too much exhaust gas instead of water."

"Thanks for the input...At lea

"Thanks for the input...At least I'm not missing something with that bolt.
Also, I should point out that the the bucket I'm using is several inches taller than the average 5 gallon bucket. I also would never put it in gear with that arrangement or run it faster than idle. I thought that since the "tell-tale" was a strong/steady stream it was getting enough water.

I looked at the pin...Here is a pic of the actual carb: http://www.linearrow.com/porch/carb.jpg"
...What am I missing? Does the pin drive out(meaning I need to tap it harder) or what?"

"The image looks wrong. Take o

"The image looks wrong. Take one from the top looking straight down at the float. I forgot to answer your question
The pin pushes out one side. If you look carefully you can see that the pin, on one side, has little grooves on it. Gently press from the other side of the pin and it should come right out. IE The grooves are the enlarged end so push it out from the other side. Be careful because if you break one of the pin retention points you will be buying yet another carburetor."

"Nope, they never vibrate out.

"Nope, they never vibrate out. The bowl keeps the pin in. Weird though. The carb doesn't look like a Tohatsu carb as I remember it...The float looks odd and I just had one apart last Friday. Are you sure this is an 07?"

Back