Logo

1999 Suzuki DT140 Overheating HELP Wanted

"Last year I was having proble

"Last year I was having problems with my outboard motor. It kept turning off, so I had the prime bulb and impeller replaced. I noticed that the water pressure meter was registering a higher reading that prior and it seemed to work OK. Today I took it out and it seemed to do fine until my return to the dock. I was midway home when all of a sudden my motor just shut down. The temp light was on, so I waited about 30 minutes and it finally started back up and was able to make it in. Not sure where to begin. When my motor idles the water spray doesn't seem to be as strong as I would think it should, but it does register high when running about 4000rpm's. I would appreciate input."

Thanks for the starting place.

Thanks for the starting place. If any other suggestions come to mind please let me know. I will let you know how this works out.

There are several things that

There are several things that may cause your problem. If you havent replaced your water pump in the last few years thats the first place i would start. In addition when the lower unit is removed for w/p replacement inspect the stand pipe from the water pump to the engine. If those both are fine then proceed to thermostat inspection. Hope that helps...let me know

Back