Logo

318 wonbt run above 1800rpms

snake_eater

"I have a 1980 Trojan F30, twi

"I have a 1980 Trojan F30, twin 318's. The Stbd is new. I can bring both engines up to 1800 rpms. if i go above that, say 2500 rpms the Stbd rpms drop 300-400rpms. i tried running only the Stbd. If i take it above 2000 it vibrates bad. I cannot get them to run in-sync above 2000rpms."

1. Water in fuel/ dirty filter

1. Water in fuel/ dirty filters/ etc.

2. Barnacles on props and bottom

3. Bent props

4. Carb(s) need a rebuild

How long has the boat sat in the water?

Jeff

hey Jeff

1. possible but i

hey Jeff

1. possible but i just changed the fuel/water seperator filter
2. boat was just out of the water2-3 weeks prior. bottom cleaned and painted.
3. new prop
4. new carb

Ethanol gas can cause all kind

Ethanol gas can cause all kinds of crud--that was happy lying there in the bottom of your tanks-- to break loose and start plugging things up. You might need to change/ dump a few more times.

Jeff

"ok, i will change the filter

"ok, i will change the filter again. i'm also doing the rotor flip. i'll listen to jimmy buffet while i'm flipping away again in margaritaville. i checked the ECU and the back of the unit melted away. what would cause that?"

"Don't know, but it does h

"Don't know, but it does happen. I carry a spare--$30 at NAPA. Best deal around.

Jeff"

"Jeff, can those ECU units cau

"Jeff, can those ECU units cause misfires or backfires while showing no physical melting on the back?

Chris"

"Possibly, but goofed up ignit

"Possibly, but goofed up ignition wires are more likely.

Have you tried this: Warm the motor and idle it. Wearing heavy gloves and using insulated pliers, remove one wire at a time from the distributor cap. Note how the motor slows, then put it back. Did it speed back up? Go around that cap and, if the motor does not change, leave that wire out; and if you find two wires that don't make a difference--eureka! Switch those two and see if that's it. You might get lucky.

Jeff

PS: The crappy way those wires hide between the manifold and valve cover make it easy to mix up a couple of wires--experienced mechanics have done it. "

"Jeff,

I would ge a fresh c

"Jeff,

I would ge a fresh can of gas mabey 5 gallons, and run from that to see if you still have an issue,also try using the marine storall it works great. have you been using any of the starbright products when you fuel?"

"I use their black streak remo

"I use their black streak remover--works great. And I rely on Star Tron fuel treatment--the same company I think,. Hasn't let me down yet.

If you can, run the motor of an outboard tank and see if that helps.

Jeff"

thanks. i did clean the props

thanks. i did clean the props and instantly went from 9mph to over 16 mph. when i put on the new distributer cap i noticed the wires had been put on by the "mechanic" in a different sequence that what was called for. i put them in the correct order! replaced the ECU as well. i have put in sta-bil for marine engines. i'm going to change the filter again and i'll let you know how i do

Back