Logo

Velvet drive wonbt go into neutral

snake_eater

"I have a 71C in my 1980 Troja

"I have a 71C in my 1980 Trojan F30. I had the tranny rebuilt 3 times. The reason for the 1st rebuild was water in the tranny, cooler leak. Anyway it's been rebuilt 3 times and when i turn on the engine the shaft rotates (forward)slowly in neutral. ?????"

"I know I'll hear a bunch

"I know I'll hear a bunch of crap from other readers, but this is not unusual and I have seen brand new boats leave the factory this way.

This is not for the meek, but if you can stop the shaft by grabbing it with your hand, it is considered acceptable. The condition is due to the setting on the clutch pack and should improve with use. If you can not stop the shaft by hand, call your rebuilder and have him rip it back out.

Good luck,
Rick

Make sure you do not run the engine with swimmers in the area as it is still a hazard."

"Thanks Rick,
Yup I do make s

"Thanks Rick,
Yup I do make sure I'm clear of swimmers and ensure the engine is shut down. what a pain. i have already taken the tranny out myself 3 times to the same place but with the same results. I am hoping with more use it will "break in". Thanks though!"

"Rick is absolutely correct.

"Rick is absolutely correct. Long as the boat doesn't move forward in neutral, don't sweat it.

Jeff"

Back