Logo

Water pump pulley removal 318 chrysler sherwood pumps

mciron9

"Got a pulley that will move s

"Got a pulley that will move slightly, (wedged two screwdrivers behind hub, but won't come off). A puller will just bend the pulley, which is just mild steel, with no holes in the pulley face for the puller to grab the hub. And of course, you can't remove the pump without first taking the pulley off. Pounding the pulley with a hammer and lots of lube got it started but limited access, and fragile metal have me stymied."

"Drill two holes in the pulley

"Drill two holes in the pulley opposite each other, install two bolts, and use a puller to gett it off. Piece of cake!

Jeff

PS: Be sure to use heavy flat washers to avoid bending the pulley."

"Hey, that sounds interesting!

"Hey, that sounds interesting! I have a two leg puller, how do I hook it to the bolts? Also, even with washers, I think the pulley will bend, I can actually bend it with my hands.

Regards, Ron."

"Drill the holes close to the

"Drill the holes close to the hub as you can. Put the nuts and flat washers behind the pulley, with the head of the bolts on the puller side. And heat the hub as you go.

Gotta do one myself, tomorrow in fact.

Jeff"

"Okay, after I do all the abov

"Okay, after I do all the above, how do I hook the puller to the bolt heads? I won't be able to use heat, as it is a wooden boat, and the pulley is up against ( 11/2 in.) a bulkhead."

"Jeff is going to use a steeri

"Jeff is going to use a steering-wheel, or fly-wheel puller.

284066.jpg

284067.jpg

Fred 156-M"

"Got mine off, and it was a b&

"Got mine off, and it was a b*tch!

First of all, use a THREE jaw puller. I didn't and the holes I drilled were just a bit off the centerline. Result? The puller kept bending off to one side.

I had to heat the HELL out of the pulley hub with an acetylene torch to get it off. Was cherry red all over before it 'decided' to move. The bearings also came out hard, and I had to rip the mechanical seal all to pieces to get it out.

Not a fun job.

Jeff"

"Geez, now I'm intimidated

"Geez, now I'm intimidated. Can't use a torch on my boat. I rebuilt the pumps two years ago, and the pulleys came right off then. Unfortunately I screwed one up powerloading the boat onto the trailer, pickups were out of water, and I want to replace the impellers with run dry ones.
Ron."

In the boat! You can't re

In the boat! You can't rebuild one of those things in a boat! It's strictly a garage job with a vise (messed my up doing it) and lots of other tools.

Better buy a whole new pump.

Jeff

PS: All I need I $140 of parts to put it all back together again!

"HMMMM!!! I'm talking raw

"HMMMM!!! I'm talking raw water pump impeller replacement here. Already rebuilt the portside pump,in the boat. just couldn't get the starboard pulley off. I'm going to try the drill/bolt thing you suggested next.
Ron."

"Say, while I have your attent

"Say, while I have your attention, I have a question posted under Ford Interceptor, ignition (?) problem. Same set-up as chrysler, coil-points-resistor thingy. Flood to start , rough idle. dyno'd carb, no problem. ????
Regards, Ron,"

Back