Logo

Warning buzzer on Tohatsu 50B

aquasport15

"It started yesterday, the war

"It started yesterday, the warning buzzer went off with no lights flashing and engine running well. The buzzer sounds when the steering is turned to the left. Slight pressure on the remote control harness, in the opposite direction shuts the buzzer off. When the ignition key is turned on, the the buzzer will sound indefinitely if the motor is turned left. The engine does not need to be running for the sound to be heard. I think it may be a wiring harness insulation abrasion?"

It does sound like a wiring is

It does sound like a wiring issue. Check to make sure that the plug in harness is correctly put together and then look for a cut harness.

"Thank you for taking time on

"Thank you for taking time on the Holiday to respond. I'm going to try to get some professional TLC as I could not see anything obviously wrong with the cable connections. Finger pressure directly down on wiring harness B, right behind the cable clamp, stops the buzzer. That site is a good 8-9 inches ahead of the wiring connections, so its likely something under the control bundle clamp. Thanks again."

"Tohatsu is all warm and fuzzy

"Tohatsu is all warm and fuzzy when approached the right way. Send me your model and serial number and I'll take care of it for you. Just to make sure...This is the wiring harness from the control box that runs to the engine? You will have to change it out yourself, but I can take care of the part."

"Guru,
Thanks for your intere

"Guru,
Thanks for your interest. Model is: MD50B EPTOL
Serial # is: 034732XE

Although the engine is just over 3 years old, I'm only in Miami for about 5 months each year, so the engine has had moderate use. I just added the 6th quart of oil to the reservoir.

My nagging concern is that the buzzer is trying to indicate a real problem and I'm somehow silencing it by pressing gently on the harness. Yes it is the one from the control box to the engine, just after it enters the engine cover, but everything except the steering enters the engine cover at that point.

Here's the cable photo of pressure point"

"If anyone's interested, i

"If anyone's interested, it was a short in the wiring harness right where all the control cables enter the engine cover. The old one was swapped out for the new one and problem solved. It was puzzling, as at no time was there any degradation of engine performance or any specific lights flashing on the tachometer dial, just the alarm going off when the engine was turned. The only reason I can think of is that the boat is stored in the garage, and because of the tight fit we keep the engine turned hard right so that we have access to the clothes dryer. So for three years the wiring harness has been under maximum stress at that point. Needless to say, we've adjusted the storage arrangements. Thanks to those who scratched their heads and especially to the Guru."

Back