Logo

Tilt mechanism 2008 9.8 hp

jojam

"Am I correct in assuming tht once I raise and tilt my 2008, 9.8 out of the water I have to lean it to either side and there is no way to keep the motor straight up? On my Yamaha there was a mechanism to lock it in the upright position. I can't figure out how to do this with the Tohatsu.

Thanks,

Ron"

"I have this exact problem. I

"I have this exact problem. I just switched from a Yamaha kicker that had the ability to lock the steering in the centered position. When I was using the main motor, I tilted the kicker and locked it in the centered position because it put too much stress on the kicker bracket to lean it one way or the other.

I just installed my Nissan (9.8 four-stroke, 20" shaft) and discovered that unfortunately, it does not have this same feature.

How have others dealt with this problem? Does the steering friction bolt have the ability to hold the Nissan in a centered position while running the boat in anything but smooth water? Should I just get a beefier kicker bracket to put my mind at ease? Will the motor and its mounting assembly be damaged by leaving the motor leaned to one side or the other when it is tilted up? Is there an aftermarket product that can help fix this problem, like a Trol-Eze or something similar?

I would prefer to not link the main and the kicker as I control the kicker from the back deck while fishing.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle"

""How have others dealt wi

""How have others dealt with this problem?"

Contact the dealer that sold you the engine for an in depth explanation.

"Does the steering friction bolt have the ability to hold the Nissan in a centered position while running the boat in anything but smooth water?"

Sort of, but no would be the accurate answer.

"Should I just get a beefier kicker bracket to put my mind at ease?"

That has would have nothing to do with locking the engine.

"Will the motor and its mounting assembly be damaged by leaving the motor leaned to one side or the other when it is tilted up?"

No

"Is there an aftermarket product that can help fix this problem, like a Trol-Eze or something similar?"

Most people simply rig a bungee cord to the front of the engine and tie it off. That, in combination with the friction bolt, works adequately for most people."

Back