Logo

LONG Cannot start Tohatsu 140A

mobinakhtar

"My name is Moby and I own a 8

"My name is Moby and I own a 85 Bayliner Capri with a 1996 tohatsu 140A. I am brand new to boats and this is my first outboard motor. I took the boat out before Ike hit last year and it used to start right up with flick of a key. Then Ike hit Houston and my boat got flooded while parked at my bay lot from rain and canal water (It was tied well to a tree). I brought her home, cleaned well. Interior is trash but motor seems clean. I replaced the battery (boat has not been turned on in at least 8 months) and turn the key – electronics come on (multi info meter shows oil ok, lower unit oil light blinks (so it needs lower unit oil), when I turn the key – I hear a click at the starter relay and a buzzer beeps in the throttle control box but no starter move or nothing.

I noticed a kill switch (and I really don’t remember putting the plastic tether in it ever but I got one out of my jetski and put it in – still same thing.) buzzer beeps, relay clicks and engine does not turn.

Is this motor ruined?Is there a way to verify that the engine is OK? How can I turn it? I took spark plugs out – no water – everything is dry.

By the way after the flooding, I let the boat sit for at least 4-6 months before even attempting to do anything so it could dry out comletely.

Can i jump starter so I can see if engine is OK. I know for sure gas is bad by now so I will use a gas can - I just need to know if engine will turn.

Is it not starting because lower oil is low?

Sorry for so many questions but Its been two months I have been trying different things and now am really frustrated. Please help.

Boats interior is ruined. If engine comes to life – I will rebuild the boat interior as the hull is solid! and boat still looks good.

thnaks"

"Change the oil & try agai

"Change the oil & try again, my service guy told me these engines are bullet proof. If your getting a warning buzzer & flashing light the computor may not allow you to start."

"No problem, I ran into a situ

"No problem, I ran into a situation were for no apperent reason my RPM's dropped to about 2k, buzzer sounded. Apperently I was low on 2 stroke oil(not empty but low) so the engine computor only allows 2k RPM until it is topped off.

Good Luck"

I have a feeling its the lower

I have a feeling its the lower unit oil myself because its been dripping (extremely slowly) and the red light for it is blinking in the multi-meter. Do you have the same engine?

I have the 120a with the multi

I have the 120a with the multimeter on a 16ft Crestliner fishing boat. The shop told me the on board computer does a good job protecting the engine. I have also had the water intake plug up with algy & the alarms start going off. The guy told me they are idot proof which is a very good thing for me.LOL Hope the low oil is the problem as these are very good outboards.

Jim

"Mine does. It says Oil level

"Mine does. It says Oil level and has two LED's.

upper (shows red as in full)
Lower shows a blinking red

when starting engine, multifunction meter goes blank and a buzzer sounds.

I tried to top-up the oil in lower but can't get the screw to open. It needs a "BIG" flat screw driver. I wish I knew sho local Tohatsu dealer was to take this to them so they can check it out for me."

"Tohatsuguru, Do people use sc

"Tohatsuguru, Do people use screw driver or a screw-driver-in-a ratchet to open the bottom/top screw. I am trying to top off the lower unit oil.

thanks,

Moby"

I think the warning lights &am

I think the warning lights & buzzer is for your 2 stroke oil. Should be a little hatch on top of your motor. Flip open the lid & you will see a oil tank with a screw cap. Un screw the cap & top up with approved TWC-III 2 stroke oil. Your outboard is a 2 stroke oil injected engine.

for the screws you might want

for the screws you might want to try to LIGHTLY tap the screw driver while turning. This may help loosen the screw.

"No, it does not...You are con

"No, it does not...You are confused as to what the warning indicator is for. Low oil refers to the oil tank on the top of the engine. Do yourself a favor and download a free owners manual from the Tohatsu factory website and then read it before you damage something.

Moby, I mean this nicely. Stop working on your engine yourself. You obviously do not have any aptitude or experience for this and you are going to damage the engine if you tinker with it.

I don't work on my own car or repair my own air conditioners. I am afraid I might screw them up because I don't know what I am doing with them. Please let a dealer do the maintenance on your engine...Or visit your local high school and see if they have a small engine repair class you can take. That would give you basic mechanical knowledge that you could use on your engine."

"Thanks Tohatsuguru. I don&#39

"Thanks Tohatsuguru. I don't tke such advise personally. I am very mechanically inclined and do work on my own car and engines. This is however my first Outboard. I have the owner manual and service manusal. Just too lazy to read them thoroughly. I guess you are right. The oil indicator is for mixing oil = from visually looking the bottle is more than half full. but I will fill it completely and try to start the engine. I guess I am not very clear. I am not really trying to start the engine either, I just want to see if it turns over - thats all."

"So I removed all spark plugs

"So I removed all spark plugs and the flywheel cover. BAsed on the grooves for rope-start flywheel should turn clockwise - Right? I have applied a lot of force by hand and a wrench, and it does not move at all. Am I doing something wrong? All that I am trying to extablish now is if the engine is locked up from sitting since December.

Is there any other test I can do to see if engine is ok or a basket case?"

If the motor was submerged in

If the motor was submerged in water and you let it sit for 4-6 months without doing anything to it chances are it is locked up and not gonna start.

Back