Logo

1993 43 OMC Fuel Problem

offcall

"Hello. I just got my 1993 Fou

"Hello. I just got my 1993 Four Winns 180 Freedom out of storage. It would not start. It turned over but was not getting fuel to the carb. I believe it to be the 12v relay? Tank is full but no gas comming from fuel pump. I believe the circuit breaker is ok. Any suggestions?

Also before I put it away last season the fuel gauge was jumpy, would this be caused from the fuel tank sending unit?

And I am looking for the trim sending unit which I know is bad. Thank You"

"fuel pump issue could be the

"fuel pump issue could be the pump or relay, check for 12v from the relay and at the pump.

jumpiness on the gauge could be sending unit or ground, or gauge.

trim sending unit is on the Starboard side of the Gimbal Ring, the Trim limit switch is on the Port side. Best to remove the gimbal ring to replace sending and limit switch completely, dont cut and splice the wires. also they are also sold as a complete set now to..

Problem with the trim sender could be dirty connections or broken connection inside."

"Brian...pretty sure this is a

"Brian...pretty sure this is an OMC which don't have trim limit switches
happy.gif
just the trim sender on the stbd side, which I've heard are pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird now."

"Gentalman, I do not have powe

"Gentalman, I do not have power at the connection to the fuel pump (black wire and yellow/red wire)I assume the main power goes to the 12 1/2 volt circuit breaker and then to the relay? There are four points of contact on the relay. I pulled the relay and have 12v on the two horizontal pins where the relay plugs in. No voltage across the circuit breaker. And there is only the trim lever on the outdrive. I will check for a possible break in the wire. I will pull the floor tomorrrow and check the ground on the sender. Thanks for the responses."

"Just thought of something, co

"Just thought of something, could there be a problem with the kill switch? Does that control power to the fuel pump? Wounder if there is a fuse for the kill switch? I will try to fine a manual tomorrow. Just thinking out loud. Thanks"

"Patrick...the kill switch is

"Patrick...the kill switch is typically wired into the ignition circuit. Use this link for a wiring diagram for 1993 4.3 You will see the orange wire and the green wire, the orange should power the fuel pump power when the assist solenoid is energized and the green once the alt starts to work. Both of these have diodes. Also if you suspect the fuel pump you can use 2 jumpers to see if it works manually.
http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w169.pdf

That 12.5 CB should have power going in and out, don't try to measure across it, one meter lead on ground somewhere and check the in and out, should be 12v on both sides.

"

I installed the new relay. Not

I installed the new relay. Nothing. I checked the CB-12v on one side about 6 on the other. I ran a wire (jumped) the CB still no power at the connection to the fuel pump. Kill switch is working. I'm lost now. Any other suggestions?

"You've got to measure at

"You've got to measure at the orange wire when you turn the key to start to see if you have power. Could be a blown diode or ? I don't know why you would have only 6 v on the other side of the 12.5 breaker either, there should be 12v on both sides, try measuring it with the relay out."

Got to thinking why 12v on one

Got to thinking why 12v on one side of CB and weak 6v on other. Hooked up a jumper w/o luck.
Got to wiggling the reset button and noticed voltage increased (flickered) Took low voltage side wire off and connected it to 12v (strong side). Power to the fuel pump connections. Installed new 12.5 CB started right up. Thanks for all your assistance. Your suggestions and the wiring diagram got me running again.

"Glad you got it going, you co

"Glad you got it going, you confused me when you talked about the jumper as I assumed you had jumpered around the breaker which should have bypassed it unless I misunderstood you?"

"I did jump it but either the

"I did jump it but either the jumper was to thin or defective. Either way I am making new wire jumpers for future use.
Next I tie into the fuel tank sending unit. it is my understanding that if I take the power lead off (pink wire) of the sender and place it to ground, turn on the key that the fuel guage should peg telling me the gauge is good, I hope to find a loose ground, if not I picked up a complete sender unit. I will let you know.
Thanks again."

Back