Logo

Honda BF50 Trim alarm

macattack

The "Trim alarm" sound

The "Trim alarm" sounds on my BF-50 well before the prop/lower unit is clear of any under water obstructions. The trim gauge shows it fully trimmed UP when the unit is just over 1/2. Is there an adjustment ?. Is the alarm activating via a "Switch" or is it somehow "Sensing" the angle of the engine oil ??. It's very annoying when island hopping in the shallows.

I'm getting an alarm on my

I'm getting an alarm on my 50 that no one seems to know what it is.

Is your trim alarm intermittent or a solid alarm?

Thx

"The trim alarm is triggered b

"The trim alarm is triggered by a switch on the mounting bracket with no adjustment(unless you build-up the pin on the switch with some rubber tubing, etc). So it depends on your transom angle as to when the swich is triggered."

You can deactivate the trim al

You can deactivate the trim alarm at the motor
by unplugging the black wire from the sensor.

I know this is an old post but I recently had the same problem and have more definitive answer for anyone else that might have the same issue.

I started receiving an intermittent beeping alarm. The alarm would only sound above 3000 rpm. There are only 2 alarms on the BF50A, a steady beep (high oil temperature or low engine oil pressure) and an intermittent beep (trim angle alarm). The trim alarm is designed to sound when trim angle is greater than 20 degrees AND the throttle is forward or backward of 40 degrees from nuetral. My engine was trimmed all the way down when I received the alarm. Honda actually got rid of the trim alarm on later models because anyone with half a brain can tell if their motor is out of the water when they advance the throttle to any significant RPM.

I checked the sensor itself, which is located on the port side of the transom and didn't see anything wrong with it. It's a spring loaded plastic arm with 3 wires coming out. One is black, one is orange and one is yellow with what looks like a green stripe on it. I'm guessing the sensor itself was bad. I don't need the alarm so I disconnected it.

To disconnect, open the wiring harness cover on the port side of the engine. You can't miss it, it's a large black plastic cover. There aren't any screws,just some snap tabs. Trace the yellow/green wire to where it joins, and there will be a quick disconnect. Unplug it and now you are ready to test it. (Beware, there is also a yellow wire with what appears to be a blue stripe. If your wires are old like mine, compare them carefully with the wire coming out of the trim sensor)

With the key on (not started), advance the throttle all the way forward. You should not get the alarm. To confirm you got the right wire, plug it back in and repeat the throttle advancement procedure. The alarm should sound if your sensor is faulty. If you got the right one, you're in business. Disconnect again and cover the connector in electrical tape to prevent a short circuit. Useless alarm eliminated.

I don't know if this will effect my trim gauge because I haven't taken it on the water yet and the gauge doesn't appear to work unless the engine is started. Personally I don't care about the trim gauge because the motor is on a 25' pontoon boat so I didn't even bother to put the muffs on and start it. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Back