Logo

Another SeaKing

whisker

"Just bought this at a yard sa

"Just bought this at a yard sale. Can you help with year, oil mix etc.
Thanks much.

model# GG187360
serial # 26x835135"

"Mike, if you give the plate a

"Mike, if you give the plate a little better wipe I think you will find the model is GG18736D.

It is a 1962 Gale, 15 horse twin built for Montgomery Wards (SeaKing store brand).

Like my 1960 Gale this will mix at 24:1 with regular unleaded and TCW3 marine rated 2 stroke oil.

I would replace the gas lines under the "hood" - the old rubber doesn't last very well with todays ethanol enhanced gas. Take a piece to NAPA and get a foot or two of bulk line from them for a couple bucks.

Many service parts for this motor can be obtained from www.laingsoutboards.com - very knowledgable and great prices too..."

"Thanks for the reply. (It

"Thanks for the reply. (It is a D on the end of the model #)
Are you sure it is a 15 horse motor? The guy sold it as a 5 horse. I can lift it with one hand,.... but I sure wouldn't complain about the extra oomph!"

"Another question. Is there a

"Another question. Is there a water pump on this old motor? I have started it in a barrel of water but can't see any water discharging anywhere. I appreciate the help,....this older motor is unfamiliar territory to me."

"Sorry, added a 1 there. It is

"Sorry, added a 1 there. It is a 5 horse twin.

Yes, there is a waterpump. But unlike more modern motors this model does not have a tell-tale stream. All the water goes down the exhaust and exits just above the prop.

However, if you don't know when the waterpump was last serviced, it's overdue. You don't want to toast a motor in a rush to get it into service."

Thanks again Graham. I ran thi

Thanks again Graham. I ran this motor at idle for 4-5 minutes and it seemed to get pretty warm below the engine. Is there any visual way at all to tell if water is circulating?
What is a water pump service going to include?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

"Normally, simply replacing th

"Normally, simply replacing the impeller and maybe the cover gasket.

And the leg will get warm, it's being heated by the exhaust.

After 5 minutes of running, the powerhead itself should be very warm but you should still be able to touch it without getting burned."

Back