Logo

1998 Tohatsu 140 parts availability

tnltracy

I noticed there's only a f

I noticed there's only a few parts availble for Tohatsu's on this site. I'm looking at buying a boat which includes a 1998 Tohatsu 140 2 Stroke. Just looking to get some input on parts availability as I've seen mention of obsolescence of parts on some posts in this forum.

Thanks!

"I've got a similar situat

"I've got a similar situation. I've been given a boat with an M70A2 outboard. Are parts readily available.
I need a head gasket, thermostat gasket, throttle cam, advance line bar and two cap ball joints."

"Parts are available from any

"Parts are available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer...However, the 70 A model is so old that most parts are no longer available. IE Throw it away."

"TG do any of the newer engine

"TG do any of the newer engines have interchangable parts?
I'm sure I can fabricate the throttle cam. The advance line bar seems pretty generic, as do the cap ball joints. The head gasket can be fabbed too, but would rather have a kit, same with the water jacket gasket.
I'd hate to dispose of an engine that would work with a little effort, and/or I'd hate to fork out $1000+ for a new engine..."

""Interchangable"

T

""Interchangable"

The answer you are looking for is no...But, part are interchangeable as long as they have the same part number or supersede to that same part number. Most carb parts, lower unit parts, power head gaskets and ignition parts are now gone. So, anything that you patch together today will almost certainly wind up being a wasted effort tomorrow. It was a great model engine 25 years ago, but it's time to let it fade away to a fond memory."

Back