Logo

89 23 liter Ford Cobra OMC

corygex

"I just bought my first boat a

"I just bought my first boat and it has the above listed engine. It ran fine during the test drive, but of course when I got it home the first time it started acting up on me. Now the dealership won't stand behind it so I am left to somehow fix it. I have tried everything I can think of and it seems to be some type of fuel problem.

I replaced the main fuel filter, cleaned the carb filter and carb w/ carb cleaner spray. I pulled the line @ the fuel pump and then @ the carb and cranked it over and it sprayed a decent amount of fuel. I checked the anti-siphon valve and there is none, just a clear fitting installed.

It acts up in several ways, hesitates while driving, then after a while it will bog down and if I don't throw in neutral it will drive. After letting it set for 30 seconds, I can drive it again briefly then it does the same thing. Eventually it will just completely die and I crank and crank and cannot get it to start until I dmp gas down the carb throat. It will run until that gas is used up and die. Enough tries and I can get it running a little while longer until it does the same thing.

The last time it left me stranded I disconnected the fuel line @ the fuel pump and it was not blowing any fuel. Any ideas on what to do next? Thank you for any help you can give."

"Sure sounds like a fuel starv

"Sure sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Have you checked you fuel tank vent for pluggage? Try running it with the fuel filler cap removed to test for that. Look again closely for that anti-syphon valve, might be inside the tank. Other than that it could be your fuel pump. You can get a cheap fuel pressure gauge at Autozone. Tee it in temporarily between the pump and carb."

"Thanks for the ideas Mr. Wrig

"Thanks for the ideas Mr. Wright. Let me ask you this if you don't mind? Re the anti-siphon, the fitting that hooks to the hose was aluminum with nothing in it. The coupler that it screwed into was screwed into the top of the tank.

I tried unscrewing that to see if maybe the anti-siphon was inside that but I could not get it unscrewed. Is there another way to check (ie, running a pipe cleaner down it to see if it is obstructed) or would that not tell me?"

"One more thing, what hould th

"One more thing, what hould the fuel pressure be? I think I heard somewhere 8 lbs but want to make sure. Thanks again"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
283325.jpg
FUEL PRESSURE

The AS valve probably would be

The AS valve probably would be screwed to the tank and the hose would connect to it.
Fuel pressure should be 5.5-7 lbs at idle.

Thank you very much for your h

Thank you very much for your help. I will try that out and see what it reads. If it is low then the pump needs replacing?

try pushing a piece of wire in

try pushing a piece of wire in that fitting on the tank- should be an anti siphon ball and spring in that barbed fitting.

"there was no spring and ball,

"there was no spring and ball, it was clear. would anyone know the correct gapping for the spark plugs for this engine?"

The plug gap should be .035. I

The plug gap should be .035. It's possible someone may have gutted the AS. You should replace it ASAP as it's illegal without it. You either need to have a manual fuel shut off valve or the AS incase you develop a fuel leak somewhere after the tank.

HELP my bayliner is fitted wit

HELP my bayliner is fitted with a 2.3 ford cobra engine it has been serviced and ran well for 15min then it cut out i have now found that no1 cylinder is taking in water when i try to start the engine can anyone help by telling me what has caused this to happen

"Hey John, you really should s

"Hey John, you really should start a new discussion.
Was this the first run of the season? Could be a result of improper winterization.
thumbs_down.gif
Did it run hot?
blush.gif
Blown head gasket is another possibility."

thanks for your reply . I ran

thanks for your reply . I ran the engine for some time on dry land and all was well temp was fine and water flowing around engine can you help with the best place to get the head set and what else should i look for many thanks

John...you really should start

John...you really should start a new thread with this problem. Have you removed the head yet? Was the gasket the problem?

hi bill head gasket was fine

hi bill head gasket was fine the problem was the hole just off the valve seating in no1 chamber. now looking for a cylinder head can you help? regards john

Think I have the same problem

Think I have the same problem with mine John just went yesterday .don't know if the 2 lit head is the same

Sounds like tank is vacuming try running with filler lose ?

Sounds like the problem I had

Sounds like the problem I had with the shift assist switches....they are little switches where the shift is connected to the engine.....check them out...also look at other threads regarding shift assist....

Back