Logo

b85 Mastercraft losing power at 30mph

cw2judd

"HELP! OMG! Replaced the carb,

"HELP! OMG! Replaced the carb, installed elec fuel pump, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, drained and replaced all the gas, changed the oil, new ignition switch, all new marine fuel line, in line fuel filter, adjusted the timing.... and the darn thing STILL CUTS OUT AT 30-ish MPH (stalls if I don't totally back off the throttle and pump it... if I do that it comes right back to full power in a matter of a 10-20 seconds) if anyone has ANY IDEAS please let me know, I don't think there's much left that it can be... and I probably have done some other things to it that I can't recall... all I know is I've spent more time in the last month on the boat out of the water than in the water.. gggrrr...... Thanks so much!"

At the fuel tank where you con

At the fuel tank where you connect the fuel line there is a small check valve. My boat was doing the same thing I did everything you did except the electric fuel pump. I found a small pc.of debit restricting the fuel flow. Good luck.

"Thanks so much for the respon

"Thanks so much for the response. He's checked that valve, but short of running a pipe cleaner through it, he's checked it and it seems clear. I read your posts before I posted actually and I saw that you had that problem. He's going to put an electronic ignition on it, he just ordered it from the mastercraft ppl, and he's going to run a pipe cleaner through that valve, via your suggestion. Darned boat! =) ~Amy (and James)"

"I had the same problem and I

"I had the same problem and I replaced that part for about $20. Have not run it yet but will know in the next few weeks whether it worked. I replaced with new parts carb, electronic ignition, plugs, wires, fuel pump, gas line, my attitude, etc. Keep this part in mind and I will do my best to let you know if it worked."

"thanks again for the idea, I

"thanks again for the idea, I haven't had a chance to change or clean it yet because we've been traveling. I picked up an electronic ignition an a new dist cap on our way out of Texas, so as soon as I have time to replace those I'll do the valve as well and I'll post anything I find out along the way!"

the check valve should be the

the check valve should be the problem I had the same problem with my 85 mastercraft its a good idea to change the check valve and don't be afraid to go a little bigger it will feel like a new boat

"Can I just give y'all a b

"Can I just give y'all a big fat THANK YOU?!?!?!? Finally got to MI and had a chance to check that fing valve... and BINGO!!! Loaded with debris. Um... replacing the unit turned out to be more in depth than I was prepared for, but late this afternoon on Cass Lake MI.... well.... lets just say MUSTANG SALLY GAVE US A RIDE! Thanks for the 411 guys.... I've already dished out a few "I told ya so's" to my wonderful boyfriend thanks to the advice I found on this site. Thanks again and happy boating! ~Amy"

Back