Logo

292 Intake gaskets

brians

"Greetings all,
I just acquir

"Greetings all,
I just acquired a 1958 ChrisCraft Capri with a 1962 292 intercepter. The side draft carbs leak fuel onto the top of the engine. I will have them rebuilt but need a source for the intake gaskets. Are there any automotive equivalents to these gaskets ie '62 T-Bird or F 100, or does anyone know of a source for the original gaskets? I'm sure this will be first of many questions! Looking forward to any suggestions."

"Napa auto parts should have t

"Napa auto parts should have the intake manifold gaskets for the 239 ovhd valve 272, 292, 312 fifties Ford v-8 engines. these motors started in 1954 with the Mercury. and the carb to manifold gaskets were used on the Corvair engines, the Carb's were Carter YH series. Gray marine also used this carb on the AMC 250 and 327 block with the side draft carbs. I think the 1953 and 1954 Corvette with the BlueFlame 6 had 3 of these side draft carb's.
Fred Durbin"

I too heard there were 3 of th

I too heard there were 3 of these on the 53 - 54
Corvette BlueFlame 6.

Also the last complete automotive gasket set I
bought for my 312 had 3 different intake gasket
pairs to allow you to match the 3 different port
sizes available through the years. Naturally
312 has the largest ports - but so did some
292s. 239 & 272 were the small version so far
as I know of them.

Tell me what the casting numbers on your heads
are & I'll look up the valve & port sizes for
you.

"OK, I went to NAPA and asked

"OK, I went to NAPA and asked for the intake gaskets and the valley pan gasket from a '62 T-Bird. They also had a carb kit from the "62 Corvair. I don't know if this kit will be right, but I will take a shot. I took the carbs to an auto shop and will pick up the kit and gaskets tomorrow. I'll let you know if they fit! I live in Honolulu, and resources and parts are sometimes hard to get to. I called around all day to find someone willing to rebuild the carbs. This seems to be a lost art.

Next, does anyone know the suitable fuel pressure range for these carbs? Previous owner installed an electric fuel pump, and I wonder if it is contributing to the carb leaks.

Here is a really nice photo of the Corvette Blueflame engine with 3 Carter YH carbs.http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/187528,206/1954-Chevrolet-Corvette-C1_phot o.aspx"

Brian!
I looked up in my Gray

Brian!
I looked up in my Gray and Chrysler manual they are saying 6-7 lbs fuel pressure. The chrysler M-413 used 2 of the YH series carb's and as I said before also did the Gray Marine Fireball V-8 AMC eng. Your Interceptor eng's what is the HP rating I know the "312" is 215 HP the "292" I thought was 185 hp. Can't recall been a long time since I worked on those motors. Probably the Late 60's early 70's Send me youir e-mail address and I can send you what I have on the YH Carter Carb's float settings and spec.s
I hope this helped you out some.
Fred

"I got intake and valley pan g

"I got intake and valley pan gaskets for a '62 T-Bird. They look like the right ones. I'm waiting to hear from my carb guy if the kit for the Corvair will work. There is just one set of intake gaskets in this kit, but seem to natch the port size and bolt holes well.
This engine is 185 HP. The place in the front of the block where the number should be stamped is blank. I believe it is also on the back of the engine, but I have not found it yet.
I'm going to check the fuel pressure, and also ask the guy who put the pump in if he has specs for it. One thing I don't like is he wired it direct to the coil without any safety cut off. I an going to connect it to an oil pressure switch for safety.
Fred, my email is "[email protected]" I appreciate the information.
Brian"

"Brian!
I believe those gaske

"Brian!
I believe those gaskets will fit the 239 ovhd v-8, 272, 292, 312, and the 317 Lincoln eng these were all Y Block eng's.
I sent you the Info on the YH carb's from Chrysler and Gray Marine manuals
Fred"

"Well, the Corvaiir kit I got

"Well, the Corvaiir kit I got will not work. The float cover gasket is wrong and looks like it may be for the YF instead. I ordered a pair of kits from The Carburetor Doctor in Alberta
Fred, Thanks for the scans of of the service manuals. That will come in handy.
Brian"

"I have a dozen or more of the

"I have a dozen or more of the Carter YH carbs and most of the intake manifolds and linkages, if you find you need parts. I get my rebuild kits from Daytona Parts in Florida. Very nice kits. When you have these carbs rebuilt, tell the rebuilder to set the floats about 1/16 to 1/8 inch low to compensate for the current fuel which has a good percentage of alcohol and hence lower specific gravity. By the way,the 317 ci Ford is a Y-Block but the heads and manifolds are very different with no interchanges."

"James,

I did order my kits

"James,

I did order my kits from Carburetor Doctor, but they are out of stock and will take 2-3 weeks. They are also about $50 each, plus Air Freight to Hawaii (another $28). I will check with Daytona Parts to see if they are less expensive, or more available. Thanks for the tip on the float levels. Our gas here is still about 10% ethanol. I have seen a product in the marine stores that is supposed to help with "ethanol problems". Do you any lead substutute for these old engines?
Brian"

"I have at least two of the ki

"I have at least two of the kits from Daytona in stock, if Daytona is out. They are considerably less expensive than the $50.00. As far as additives are concerned, the float problem is due to the different specific gravity of the fuel with the precentage of alcohol. I don't think a little bit of lead additive will affect that. When I restore an old marine engine I usually install hard exhaust valve seats. Don't forget that years ago marine gasoline was unleaded as was aviation gas."

"Thanks, James,

Daytona has

"Thanks, James,

Daytona has the kits in stock.
I used to fly a 1969 Cessna 150 that used 95 ocatne leaded gas. When that became unavailabe, we had to start using a lead substutute each time we refueled. I was just thinking back to that."

Back