Logo

Shift problem engine not lowering rpms

acguy

"I am having problems out of m

"I am having problems out of my 95 4.3 omc cobra. When I go to put it in gear it just pops into gear and doesnt make the engine miss when i shift. When its in the water it is easy to go into gear but about impossible to get out of gear, unless i turn the ignition switch off and back on and shift in the meantime. Just a little history on this, I replaced the shift cable running from the engine to the outdrive and before i did that to my knowledge everything was working ok. I recently done a tune up, points, rotor button, plugs, and a new starter. I tried buying the microswitches to see if they were bad but that didnt work either. Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on??? Thank you, Josh"

"Putting the drive in or out o

"Putting the drive in or out of gear out of the water shouldn't make the engine miss. Only when it's in water should the shift interupt work or cause a miss and only when coming out of gear. If it doesn't then the interupt switch is bad or you have a bad connection or bad ESA Module.

You can test the microswitches with a multi-meter $20 at Radio Shack, less at a yard sale or flea market.

You can test the switches also simply by depressing it even with the engine in neutral and running and out of the water, on the OMC's though the engine shouldn't shut off. The older OMC's had an ESA Module, not sure where your's is, but it could be bad."

"If this is a 95 then you don&

"If this is a 95 then you don't have an ESA, you don't even have clutch dogs, you have a cone clutch shifter in the upper half of the drive. Easy way to tell, does the top of the drive have a hump or is it flat, the hump is the cone shift."

repsonding to Bob Hill...On th

repsonding to Bob Hill...On the top of the drive it is flat. If you are talkin about the front very top of the drive. I took it to the lake tonight and messed with the microswitches on it when i would move them around nothing would ever happen. Those switches run inside some kinda little control board type thing. Do you know what that is?

Sounds like a pre 95 model. W

Sounds like a pre 95 model. What is the model number? Should be a I.D. tag on the outdrive.

"I beleive that is your ESA mo

"I beleive that is your ESA module, Electronic Shift Assist. Could be bad switches or connections."

"As Chuck said please post the

"As Chuck said please post the either the model # off the port side of the drive or the model # off the engine (should be on rocker cover) so we know what year we are dealing with, there were several changes in the early 90's."

Back