Logo

4hp Yanmar PMBY I need to pull the liner

J

Jack Hargraves

" As I cannot get parts for my

" As I cannot get parts for my 4hp Yanmar PMBY saltwater cooled engine, and it is starting to blowback more than I can live with, I need to pull the liner. A firm here can make a new liner to utilise the old piston. My worries are.

1. Will the liner pull out cleanly without damaging its seat considering it is very likely well calcified after 40 years or so?

2.The new liner material may not be up to the specs of the original. Where can I find info on liner material for use with salt water. I replaced the rings about 3 years ago which helped for a while, but more drastic action is now required.

Any help would be much appreciated. This engine is used as a generator on my boat, and among other things keeps the beer cold so has considerable importance!

Thanks in advance , Jack Hargraves. "

" One method is to make a disc

" One method is to make a disc with a step to fit the bottom of the sleeve, a piece of pipe over the top of the sleeve with a plate over it. A hole bored in the plate and the disc allow a large piece of allthread through, the sleeve can be pulled.
Another method is to weld beads down the length of the sleeve with an arc welder. These shrink the sleeve making it easier to remove, but the sleeve will be distorted, bad for measurement. "

" Jack,

I know of a Yanmar

" Jack,

I know of a Yanmar PMBY that might be available for parts or as a complete engine.

Reply here, or send email, or call me at 860-767-7351.

Regards,
Gil Plumb "

Back