Logo

Intake Gaskets

bradcurry

I bought a Marine 318 reverse.

I bought a Marine 318 reverse. The engine I bought intake was cast with the "wedge offset" already there. I switched the intake's due to the water heater leads not being on the new one. My old intake is standard without the wedge cast but I have a spacer to make the wedge. Okay with that being said is there a difference between Auto intake gaskets from auto zone versus a traditional Marine intake Gasket. Or are the intake ports different on the two different types. I am still very new with the marine engine stuff so any help is very much appreciated

"The intake gaskets should be

"The intake gaskets should be the same IF you have the right year 318s. (The old polyspherical motors are entirely different.) Not so the exhaust, but that's not the issue.

I suspect you have a later Magnum setup here, either the intake or gaskets. THEY are different from the marine motors.

Jeff"

"How would I determine the yea

"How would I determine the year? I am very sure that the engine I removed and the one I replaced are Reverse Marine Engines, the only difference was the intake molds for the carb. Would that the signal that one is older than the other?"

"No. They made a bunch of diff

"No. They made a bunch of different intakes, some for raw water only, others for FWCooled.

Jeff"

The engine I removed was Close

The engine I removed was Closed Cooled. The engine I installed was not closed cooled. But I connected my closed cool to it. Would that make a difference?

Also the Engine I removed was

Also the Engine I removed was normal Rotation (guy I bought the boat from screwed up on that) The new engine is reverse but I switch Intake's. Any difference in the two?

"There is no difference betwee

"There is no difference between a std and rev. rot. intake. Get the casting # off the intake, off the side of the engine block ( port side ) and if you have the valve cover off you can see the head casting number. with these I can tell you what you have."

Back