Logo

1988 Force 50 HP No Spark

camronb

Hello This is my first but not

Hello This is my first but not last post.
I have just recently received a 1988 Bayliner Capri (14' 8" I believe) with a 50HP Force motor from my father. This boat has been sitting for 3 1/2 years or so and I am getting no spark on either cylinder. I need some advice of what may be the problem.
Thank You
Camron

"the ign. system in yours is m

"the ign. system in yours is much different than the one in mine, but i got to ask... did you do the basics? how is the battery? does it turn over good or is it sluggish? have you checked ALL the electrical connections, especially the grounds? are you using a spark checker or the plugs to check for spark? if you have a plug wire off and are checking for spark, make sure that you ground it out or you might do some damage to ign. components. is it in neutral, make sure the neutral switch is in or it won't get any spark. there should be a lanyard by the steering wheel, a kill switch so if you fall overboard it will kill the motor (if you have it hooked to you) check that thing and make sure it isn't shorting out the ign. and last, favorite and most important question.... do you have a manual? if you don't go and get one, you can't even change the spark plugs without one.... do you know the torque on the plugs? or what they should be gapped at? or how to read them? if not, then you need a manual. if the boat has been sitting for that long then there are a lot of things that you will need to do before being able to use it, the first one is put a new impeller in the water pump, all the rubber things are probably going to need attention but that one won't stop your motor from starting but it will stop it from running for very long, so do it right away. good luck. george"

"Assuming the motor ran fine p

"Assuming the motor ran fine prior to storage, I'd look at the kill circuit first, as George suggests. I'd also recommend soaking the cyl's with a quality anti-sieze lubricant to free the compression rings. Before replacing the water pump impeller, try removing the thermostat first and see if you have flow (impeller replacement is a pain)WARNING: DO NOT RUN without good flow as damage will occur!!! I'd also run Seafoam in a fresh gas/oil mix to clear any cobwebs fromt he carb and reed valves."

Back