Logo

A few minor issues any ideas

andrewmaeyaert

Contributing Member
"well i took the boat to the l

"well i took the boat to the lake for her maidedn voyage this weekend for the mn fishing opener and here are the remaing issues i have:

1.) over heating... the boat will run all day a 3500-4000rpms on the garden hose and stay about 125-160 degrees (guessing buy felling block. temp gauge is off by about 50*). as soon as i put the boat under some load, the temp spikes almost instantaneously. i would change my thermostat, but i think it is permanently installed inside the water neck. i am not sure how to get it out. what do you think?

2.)take off: if i walk out to the boat in the morning, fire her up, and take off it runs awesome! but if it warms up to temp, and i try to take off, she gets to about 2000 rpms, and then is starts to spit and sputter, and backfire through the carb. (not bad backfire, but a little pop here and there) when it starts acting up like that, i can have a buddy of mine go back and hit the choke real quick, and it plains out and runs good. what is that all about?

i am considering bring it in for a tune up. how much should i expect to pay for a good tuneup, and carb adjustment?

thanks in advance for the advice guys?"

"1. never run above 1000rpms o

"1. never run above 1000rpms on garden hose, you dont have enough water flow to supply the engine and will cause damage to the impeller. The thermostat isn't perm, what engine and year do you have ? When was the last time the impeller was changed? When was the last time the manifolds were changed or dissasembled and checked. A sticking thermostat can cause spikes but so can bad impellers or exhaust manifolds with caked up rust inside.

2. Your carb needs to be cleaned, it's a little lean, when your buddy hits the choke plate he's causing a little more gas to get sucked in and it probably clears the jets for a little while. The backfire is sometimes called a lean cough."

"thanks brain. the engine is a

"thanks brain. the engine is a 351W ford. i just bought and rebuilt the boat in the winter, so i don't know how old the impeller is. the manifolds were cracked, but i welded them up. i tested them to make sure i don't have a internal leak, but i do know they drip a little water from my welds. (minimal) also, this probably means nothing, but when i took her out for the first time, the exhaust boot that goes into the intermediate housing was leaking pretty good.

i just rebuilt the carb! do i need to bring it to a pro."

"I have to ask, do you have an

"I have to ask, do you have any sort of manual?

Change the t-stat, change the impeller in the drive.

You checked to see if the flappers/risers were still installed and not blocking the exhaust ?"

"ok, never above 1000 on a hos

"ok, never above 1000 on a hose was a little stern, its not a good idea or practice to go much above idle if only for short burts.

you can rebuild the carb if you have some basic tools, it's helpful to have a small air compressor, some carb cleaning chemicals."

"i have a manual, but its not

"i have a manual, but its not a very good one. where are these "flappers" you keep telling me about. I've looked for them , and i can seem to find them."

"If you have them they would b

"If you have them they would be in the Y-Pipe about where the exhaust elbow meets the Y-pipe. Last spring I replaced a Y pipe on a 5.0L OMC and OMC had a note inside, "this y pipe has no provision for exhaust flappers as we've found them to not be of benefit, and it is not recommended that replacement ones be installed" something like that. If they get cooked and melt the metal that supports the flapper peice makes noises and the rubber flappers can get stuck and cause problems."

Back