Logo

89 DT 25 problems

cube1980

"Hello to all...I'm in nee

"Hello to all...I'm in need of some advice here. I purchased a used 1989 DT 25 last year which ran like new all last summer. Last fall (the last time I took it out) it started, idled and took off fine except once I got 3/4 to full throttle, the little light on the engine would come on and it cut the power down. If I turned the engine off and started it again I could do this again and after about 45 seconds at 3/4- full throttle it would do it again. Last month I brought it into the local Suzuki dealership and they said it was overheating and it was a faulty water pump so they replaced it. When it happened last fall I felt the motor and the water coming out of the motor and it was not hot (only warm) but I didn't think anything of it. Well today I took it out for the first spin since being in at the shop and surprise surprise....it's doing the same thing...but now the motor runs even worse. It starts fine but as soon as I put it in gear it bogs and dies unless I play with the choke. Also everytime I take it out of shallow drive into normal position it dies for some reason. Then once I get going it kinda bogs and then full throttle bogs and then the power comes back, bogs and then the power comes back, almost like there is a sensor on the motor that if it's tilted it cuts the power back...it's really weird. I changed the plugs, put new fuel filter in and it ran a little better but still bogged and still once it stopped bogging the engine light would come on. Any suggestions. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow seeing as I paid $260 for them to solve nothing and my motor is actually running worse."

Have them chk the water flow i

Have them chk the water flow indicator they go bad all the time. Also sounds like the carbs might need a good cleaning.

"Ok so I took the carbs off an

"Ok so I took the carbs off and there was alot of junk in the bowls. I cleaned them out and sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner and compressed air, runs a bit better but I think the bottom carb is going to have to be completely dissasembled and cleaned because I'm getting spark on that cylinder, good compression but it's only running on the other two. Anyways two questions...I'm going to buy a manual eventually but I want to get this done this week so...

1) When I take the carbs appart, what are the settings when I put them back together for the jets etc (adjustments)

2) How do you test the coils to see if they are bad. I got spark when pulling the cord etc but maybe once they warm up one is bad? Is there any way of testing them?

Thanks

Chris"

Back