Logo

671 TIB life expectancy

"Thanks jimmy, the engines hav

"Thanks jimmy, the engines have 3000 hrs,They have been mantained well, The compression is at minimum 420 lbs and is down in speed about 4 knots."

"Tolerance for variation in cy

"Tolerance for variation in cylinder compression on these engines is within 25 psi of 475 psi...If you are at 420, I think most Detroit mechanics would suggest it is well time for a major"

"Not saying you're wrong,

"Not saying you're wrong, John, I agree Dirk is due for a major, but I had to look it up to make sure:

71E 2-Valve, 4-Valve, and T: New Parts 475 PSI, Minimum 425 PSI

For example, you get 475 on 5 cylinders, and 445 on 1 cylinder, you need to look at that one cylinder, and find out why it's different from the rest. If you get readings between 430-445psi on all cylinders, you're within spec, although you're getting close to needing an overhaul."

HELP!!!!
I have a 1981 Unifli

HELP!!!!
I have a 1981 Uniflite with two Detroit 671's. The starboard engine has twice pulled water through the exhaust and frozen the engine. I pulled the injectors and exhaust and got the engine to move. I am now sitting in a very small town in Alaska waiting for a mechanic. Please write or call with any suggestions. Thanks 602-432-3383

"thanks jimmy and john, I need

"thanks jimmy and john, I needed more information, my customer dosen't believe after 3000 hrs he needs a major, I also contacted johnson and towers who built the engines and they told me the same thing,

thanks guys"

Back