Logo

Chris Craft 327 F pressure issue

sportn_wood

"just had the engine re-built

"just had the engine re-built and when running I'm getting pressure in the top end pushing air and oil out dip stick, and oil fill tube? Cleaned the PVC system ( it is not like today's vehicles) and still extra pressure? In addition when you take the oil cap off the engine idle actually goes up some. Very strange. Any idea's? Please help me the Marina is at a loss."

"I had the same problem and it

"I had the same problem and it was the exhaust crossover passage on the intake manifold. These rust out and you can't see it because there is an aluminum shield riveted to the bottom of the manifold. Once that passage rusts through, the exhaust (which is allowed to pass under the carburator to heat the air) pressurizes the block and oil is forced out the fill and drain tubes. I replaced my manifolds and blocked off the crossover passage so it will not condense moisture and rust out again. There is a kit for blocking off the passage.

Dave"

"Jon,

Good luck and I don&#

"Jon,

Good luck and I don't know if you will be able to find NOS manifolds, I could not locate any and ended up buying used from a CC parts house. I drilled out the rivets on the shield and tapped the crossover with a small hammer. It took them sending me 4 different manifolds before I found two that were sound and not rusted through. I know its a hassle to drill and re-rivet the shield, but worth it to make sure you have good manifolds.

Dave"

"Dave

You were right on!!!

"Dave

You were right on!!! Pulled the intake manifold off and it was completely junk under the cover you mentioned! I owe you a cold one for sure.

Now my next problem: I need to locate an intake manifold for my 327 F 1968 engine. If anyone has any leads please let me know. I was on the net for hours today and came up empty.

Thanks again to you Dave, what a great help you were!
Jon in Alton NH"

"Jon!
Isn't that intake m

"Jon!
Isn't that intake manifold made of cast iron? I have never heard of one rusting out. I know the Aluminium manifolds used to rot out from the exhaust gases passing through the crossover from head to head. Doesn't that Manifold use the Carter AFB carb? If it does it would be the same manifold as the 327 Chevy 300 hp and you might be able to find one of those at a swap meet or on E-bay. I have a pair of 283's sitting in the garage that have the Al. mainfolds casted by Winters foundry it has the snowflake symble cast into the manifold. It has the Rochester carb's let me know.
Fred Durbin [email protected]"

Jon!

I ran across an intake

Jon!

I ran across an intake manifold on Marine eng.com
go to Chris Craft inboard engines. search the classifides gas inboard eng.parts for sale scroll that page there is a 70's Chris Craft 350 cube intake and a working AFB carb for sale for $225.00 a damm good price the carb alone is worth that much. check it out that manifold will fit your eng.
Fred Durbin

"Jon,

Give these guys a cal

"Jon,

Give these guys a call, I got my manifolds from them. Make sure you ask them to check the crossover before they ship it. They will drill out the rivets and inspect it if you tell them to.

Marine Sales, Inc.
586-468-0937

Expect to pay about $250 for one manifold. If the manifold Fred suggested will work, I'd take a good look at it since you are getting the carb also.

Dave"

"Thanks for the message Greg.

"Thanks for the message Greg. I have discovered during my search that 1963 and 1964 Chevy Chevelle's and some corvettes used the exact intake and carb as my Chris Craft and the stamp on the block is actually the same. I found a match on e-bay and had it shipped to my house for $75.00, so I'm all set, but thanks again for reaching out.

Jon"

Back