Logo

318 point gap and timing help

maxxumnys

"Ok... '73 silverton with

"Ok... '73 silverton with twin 318's. I'm replacing plugs, points, condensor, coil resistor, and plug cables. I have a feeler gauge and a timing light. I have timed motor with timing light but it's been quite a few years.

What is the correct gap for points? I used .035 for the plugs.

And for timing? I did not look yet to see if TDC is marked so I may need a reminder how to find it. Also I forget how to properly time motor. What are the proper settings? Another post here describe this?

Think I should go ahead and replace coils as well?

Thanks again in advance - David"

"Points should be set to appro

"Points should be set to approx. .020. Be sure the advance mechanism in the distributor isn't sticking or it might trick you. Wiggle it full stroke a few hundred times with your hand before timing. Play some music and just sit there, wiggling the sucker till it's nice and free.

On timing: If the mark is on the flywheel end there's an arrow deal. Use one side of the arrow for motors turning in one direction, and the other side for the other rotation motors. The mark should line up on the edge of that arrow.

Jeff"

Surprise surprise. I changed

Surprise surprise. I changed the plugs and wires - went to change the cap and noticed the ignition is electronic. NO problem... the port side motor runs fine and starts fine after the change of plugs and wires.

My question is how do I identify which year motor I have so I can ask advice? The boat is 1973 but at least the distributors are later as they are electronic ignition. This changes things. Starboard motor is still being worked on with new plugs and cables. Tomorrow night maybe done.

- Dave

"This is petaining to 1984 Chr

"This is petaining to 1984 Chrysler 318's V8. Marine engine inboards. To Fastjeff.
Could you be more specific on the timing marks on the flywheel. I sanded the marks but they are not very clear. Where is the mark suppose to be when viewing with T-light and engine running ?
Right or left of pointer for RH rotation and right or left for LH rotation ? There is a white dot on one of the marks,both engines. The present setting looks like the mark is about 10 degrees off TDC. It starts and runs good but, no rpm,3300 max. I did the mechanical advance thing and they are free. Lots of rust on the reluctor(paddle wheel)and pick up sensor. The throttle plates are fully open at WOT. The props that came on the 30' Skiffcraft are 16x17.Cap and rotor are good, plugs are new,wires are fair.
These engines should run at betwween 4000 & 4200 RPM @ WOT. Do you have any ideas.
Thanks , Don"

Back