Logo

Transom replacement

kainon

Advanced Contributor
"Ok, I'm very nervous, I A

"Ok, I'm very nervous, I AM replacing the transom cause it's rotted badly (poorly sealed Starcraft Islander stern) and am almost ready to remove the gimbal housing and transom plate, I soaked the bolts and nuts with Liquid Wrench, and plan to have some MAPP gas on hand, any words of wisdom?

I know to keep the fuel away from the torch, no battery in the boat and keep away from the transom wood.. anything else?

I'm worried cuz I dont want to have to replace the gimbal housing or the transom plate, it's a 1974,

do you think I might get lucky and not have any broken bolts that wont' be able to replaced?"

"Ok, well good news, got VERY

"Ok, well good news, got VERY lucky !!! the transom wood is out.. ( i love alum boats ) thanks to 2 friends, one of which ones a fork truck. so after about 3.5 hours of taking a bunch of small screws out, and removing some of the flooring and using the fork truck to lift the transom wood out, it's done.. now to clean and get some new wood and get it back together.

So after 35 years, only had a problem with 1 bolt, on the very bottom of the transom plate it was a through bolt that one of the anode knobs screws onto.. and they even came off easy.

Me VERY happy.. just wish I had a job to pay for supplies"

Back