Logo

Short vs Long Oil Filter for Chry 360

dbrahms

Contributing Member
needed a replacement oil filte

needed a replacement oil filter for a chry 360 but all I could find last weekend was a short fram filter. it fits fine but it's about half the length of the regular sierra 7875's or napa 1515's. same diameter though.

Any problems with keeping this fram in place for a while? Is the extra length just to add more filter material or am I missing something.

Can i please get a bit of tech

Can i please get a bit of tech info on a 360?I want to marinise a close to standard 1972 la small block 360.what would be an efficient carby choice for up to 300 hp. My thoughts were either twin weber or delorto side or down draught. or a 625 comp carter mech secondaries.

1. Change all freeze out plugs

1. Change all freeze out plugs to brass

2. Put stainless steel marine head gaskets on it

3. Buy an Edelbrock 760 marine carby.

Jeff

"If your 360 is close to stand

"If your 360 is close to standard, the carby upgrade might require a new intake manifold as well. I think that the 71-72 automotive 360's had two-barrels as standard equipment.

You may also want to research the camshaft specifications for the automotive 360 and compare them to the camshafts that Chrysler put in it's marine 360's. If significantly different, I'd find a cam that's as close to the marine specs as possible."

Marine cams are around if you

Marine cams are around if you look. VooDoo has one but usually a RV/truck cam's are close to what they would've used.

760 carb...?

thank you guys.760 is that a t

thank you guys.760 is that a thermoquad with vac secondaries?will look on the chrysler cam chart i have two good billets at home i might get wade to grind.

"I think that the "760&#34

"I think that the "760" may have been a typo. Edelbrock makes two marine carbs...a 600 cfm (part #1409) and a 750 cfm (part #1410). Jeff was most likely referring to the 1410.

As Conqueror suggested, if either of your cams are truck grinds, you may be okay without any additional grinding at all. You just want something that'll produce peak torque/hp in an rpm range that works best for your boat and the way you're using it.

The cam that I pulled out of my stock/original 1970 marine 318 was actually the same cam that Chrysler was putting in it's high-performance 340 street engines at the time (engines known for high rpm tq/hp). I subsequently learned that the cam that came in my new long block is almost identical to the 340 grind as well. Goes to show that marine grinds aren't always as mild as people believe.

Link to the carbs:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/marine.shtml"

"I actually have the comp cams

"I actually have the comp cams version of the ld 340 camshaft in my 318 valiant with a machined 2 barell single plane manifold to suit a 4 bbl ,it has a 625 comp carter super quad alloy body carb that looks very simillar to the 600 edelbrock. i will probably reuse the cam and lifer setup in the 360.The reason i want to make use of the 360 is that it has p part HD rods as original equipment, because chrysler may have ran out of stock and just used better rods for the time being etc.Should i use full floating forged pistons and what type of rings would work well.thanks for your help it gives me thrill to read these messages so i can dream about the day when i first run it."

"..."Should i use full flo

"..."Should i use full floating forged pistons..."

Yes.

.."...what type of rings would work well."

Any good brand. I use cast iron since they break right in. Moly-filled are the best, however.

Jeff"

"Something to be on the lookou

"Something to be on the lookout for when ordering the pistions....most aftermarket forged pistons for SB Chryslers are designed to increase factory compression ratios. A little increase is good, but just make sure you don't end up with a ratio that's too high for your marina's fuel.

Keep us posted on the build-up."

"The number that was cast into

"The number that was cast into the cam didn't seem to cross-reference to anything (at least anything I could find)....so I gave it to a local Mopar speed shop guru who, despite seeming to know it was a 340 simply by examining it, confirmed by physically measuring the lobes. It didn’t come as a huge surprise since cross-referencing had already revealed that the crankshaft was a forged steel 340 unit and the timing gears/chain were also HD 340 pieces.

It’s worth noting that, right on my original engine tag is the “J” defining the drive as a jet. So, I suppose it’s possible that there were things, other than the bell housing, that were specific to the jet build. However, the specs below were copied out of an email that I received from First Mate’s tech department…..after I’d requested info on my long-block (which certainly wasn’t designed specifically for a jet). Their cam specs are very close to the original 340 cam (P/N 2899206).

The First Mate email:

"Here is your requested information.....
1. Compression ratio: aprox 8.7 to 1
2. Pistons: are flat top with 4 valve relief
3. Valve sizes: intake 1.78, exhaust 1.517
4. Head modifications: None
5. Camshaft: intake is .286 cam lift, .429 valve lift, dur @ .050 is 210 degrees
exhaust is .296 cam lift, .444 valve lift, dur @ .050 is 221 degrees""

Back