Logo

50 sterndrive

syl

"I recently bought a 89 baylin

"I recently bought a 89 bayliner with a 5.0, The stern drive gears on the top are worn the previous owner backed into a sand bar and tried to use the engine to get it out and stripped the gears"

i guess i should have finished

i guess i should have finished my message before i posted it. Where is the best place to get the replacement parts needed for the gears.

"Well... MarineEngine.com of c

"Well... MarineEngine.com of course !!! but, you may want to think about getting the entire drive rebuilt and resealed as you most likely have metal in every little nook and cranny in the drive, bearings will need to be flushed.

I had a peice of bearing break off in my drive and it caused lots of grief for the engine."

"On the 5.0 omc the problem i

"On the 5.0 omc the problem i have is the gear broke and the bearings are half gone. The problem i think i now have is getting the bottom half of the upper gear out, it looks like it is held in by a threaded collar the gear being broken has stripped out the threads and it won't screw off. Does that need to happen to separate the upper and lower stern drive?"

"also with it being a 5.0 Chev

"also with it being a 5.0 Chevy what stern drive would i be looking for if i need another case,or another drive."

You should still be able to sp

You should still be able to split the halves but you need to take it off the boat if it's not already. Keep in mind the 2 halves share the lube so any metal in the upper will be down in the lower too. Check ebay to find a similar size/year drive.

"Why are you yelling at us<[im

"Why are you yelling at us
question.gif

I highly recommend this.......
http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-REAL-COBRA-OMC-STERN-DRIVE-SERVICE-MANUAL-NEW_W0QQitemZ 200340023916QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Manuals_Literature?hash=item2ea5322a6c&_tr ksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C 301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"

"First of since you posted the

"First of since you posted the drive model on another board (985271) you really have a 1988 OMC even though the boat is an 89, this is a common occurrence. 2nd of all the Cobra requires many special tools to tear down and rebuild which is what you would need to do with this failure. So you need to decide to "Rebuild or Replace", if you are rebuilding then take it to a shop and let them tear it down."

ouch.....that's pricey!!!!

ouch.....that's pricey!!!! Could probably get by with the 89 one for almost everything anyway.

"Robert, unless you are the ty

"Robert, unless you are the type who wouldnt mind rebuilding a car transmission I would recommend getting a rebuilt unit...tough bullet to bite but will/should outlive the boat. Otherwise watch Ebay, but you dont really know if you are buying a good drive or not...
Paul"

Back