Logo

Honda 225hp problem

miles

"Hiya

I have 2 Honda 225hp

"Hiya

I have 2 Honda 225hp motors on my boat. They are 2007 models and have about 200 hours on them.

My port side motor had its oxygen sensor replaced a few months back and the boat ran fine after that.

The same motor has now started acting up. When running at a constant speed, say 4000rpm, the alarm will sound once and the rev's will drop. After a second or two, the rev's will jump back up to the 4000rpm mark (or what ever rev's i was running at), and the motor will run fine for a while again.

This will happen occationally at idle too, with the alarm sounding once, rev's dropping and then bouncing right back up.

My honda dealer has hooked up their diagnostic computer to the motor, but it says everything in fine.

I've checked the fuel for dirt and water. I have an inline filter and a Racor filter with a water trap before the fuel goes into the motor. Have replaced the fuel hoses, replaced the filters, cleaned both filter on the motor, the water trap and the fuel filter.

I run my boat at 3200-4000rpm and it happens through-out the rev range. My thought was that i could be water in the fuel or fuel starvation, but i've now ruled out both of them.

Any idea's??

Regards
miles"

"Based on what you have writte

"Based on what you have written, it sounds like you have a bad sensor - either water temp, fuel pressure, or oil pressure. Don't have my shop manual with me right now, so cannot give you better advice. But first thing I would check would be all the sensor connections to make sure they are clean and connected correctly."

"Hiya

The boat is on a moor

"Hiya

The boat is on a mooring, so all tests are done on the water.

I've just checked all the fittings and none of them have corrosion or are loose........"

"This same thing use to happen

"This same thing use to happen to one of my buddie's 225. I'll never forget one time we were 60 miles out and then the buzzer got stuck on!! The motor was running fine, etc, but we had to listen to it for the whole afternoon and 60 mile ride in. I can't remember what the dealer's diagnosis was on it, but I will ask him if he still remembers (it was about two years ago and that boat was stolen 1.5 yrs ago, so outta sight, outta mind)."

"I have been encountering very

"I have been encountering very similiar symptom as miles.
I have 2005 Twin 225's.
Last week my check engine light would come on at idle after several minutes (port side). I turned off the motor, restated and the light was no longer on. After getting up on plane and runnning at 3800 RPM's for about a minute. The engine RPM's would suddenly drop down to idle for a second or two and then return back to 3800RPM's again. When trying to stay at 3800 RPM's or greater, these symptoms would continue to ocurr every 10 to 15 seconds. The check enginne light would not come on when these symptoms occured.
Attempted fix:
I swapped the O2 sensors from one motor to the other. As I had hoped, the check engine light started comming on at idle on the other engine (starboard). Obviously a bad O2 senser. However, I am still experiencing the drop in RPM symptoms on the port side, no check engine lights at all.
Can anybody help me? Do I need to clear the code from the computer for the symptom to rid itself of the problem.

Daryl"

"I have also a problem, with b

"I have also a problem, with both engines now
First the Port. It runs fine for 5 minutes, than it cuts out. I will go idle, but as soon as I go faster it holds back, back fires and now even stalls. My other engine was running fine until last Sunday. Same problem, I wish I had my Old Johnson 2 cycle engines back. These new engines have too many sensors, electronics that are a problem on saltwater. It’s even dangerous. I can go out 50-60 miles. Engines running great. Than within a few seconds, I have to idle back????

I have water separators, but I will pump out all my gas now, over 200 gallon, just to make sure that the gas is not the problem.

But I really like to know, what to do to get this problem fixed. I knew now that I am not the only one. I had boats all my live, for over 40 years but had never ever these kind of engine problems with any kind of engine, diesel, inboards or out boards. I am open for any suggestions besides buying new engines LOL

Ingo"

first u dont need to bay a new

first u dont need to bay a new engine the bf 225 is a great engine . u need to cheak a some things.

1)to cheak all the connecters that on the boat to se if water didnt came on them .

2)to connect an hds tester when u engine are running .

3)to cheak when was the last time that u replace all the filters.

"Have a 2005 225hp honda motor

"Have a 2005 225hp honda motor was running great until 3 weeks ago. it cut out at 5000 rpm, low range it runs okay. changed all filters hp filter, bulb hoses my racors. it ran okay for a short while and then lost rpms. fuel pump perhaps. could it be something i did while changing the hp filter and new gasket."

"It's possible that you kn

"It's possible that you knocked some junk loose in the fuel line and re-clogged the HP filter. I assume you drained the VST when you changed the HP filter. If not, do so. Then go back and make sure your new HP filter is still clean, the gasket is seated properly, and make sure the fuel line connection is tight and sealed. Also, check the gaskets and fuel lines on the low pressure filter and fuel-water seperator."

Back