Logo

Reverse gear oil leak

sadler26

"Hi, I've just bought a se

"Hi, I've just bought a second hand Sadler 26 that has a 9hp Volvo penta 2001 inboard. Engine seems to be fine - after a long cold winter she started almost first time. However I do seem to be getting a lot of oil accumulating in the engine well. It looks like its the reverse gear oil becuase the level of that is dropping but no change to engine oil level (I'm using the same oil for both - 15W40). So if I have a gear oil leak are there any easy fixes or will I have to take out the engine and have it looked at by a pro? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks."

Common leak is on black cap on

Common leak is on black cap on top of gear. Check o-ring.Other is on shift assy. Check for weepage running down side of gear. Any other leak is going to require gear removal from engine for inspection.

After having a close look it l

After having a close look it looks like the oil is leaking from black cap on the top of gear. The cap doesn't have a rubber o ring seal. Should it have one? IF so do you know where I could get one? I've tried searching the internet for o rings of that size but not easy to find! Thanks again.

Back