Logo

ChrisCraft Motor Weird Rotations

low_bridge

-Help-
An old timer here tryi

-Help-
An old timer here trying to get a ChrisCraft engine fired off in my inboard. It's a new rebuild I aquired years ago from a fleet mechanic. My problem is- Distributor is Rotating Counter Clockwise and the Motor is turning clockwise as viewed

Bill something is wrong dist s

Bill something is wrong dist should be clockwise engine could be either you sure you dont have the wrong starter on the motor? rev rotation motor has gears not timing chain best way to tell.

"Bill, I had the same problem

"Bill, I had the same problem you have a left handed motor and need to replace the starter....The one you have is for a right handed one."

So right handed is standard &

So right handed is standard (the same as automotive) & left is often out of a twin set up - the counter rotating match? I have a reverse rotater in my Ski tique but it's a topmount starter & this bell housing does not have that provision- Thanks

If she was for a LH prop &

If she was for a LH prop & I have to go right hand prop will I mess up the steering bassed on the rudder being offset a hair from the centerline of prop?

"The problem I had was that I

"The problem I had was that I am now using an automotive motor which is a left handed rotation. The starter I first used was for a marine right handed motor so it was turning my engine in the wrong rotation which turned the rotor in a counter clockwise rotation. After that I had to replace the starter with a left handed rotation and have also had to get a prop that was also for a left handed rotation.....not only that I have a paragon transmission that I had to pull and reverse the oil pump to accept the left handed rotation of the engine.....sounds like a lot but its actually straight forward. what I would do if I was you is change the starter first....once you do that, wire the engine with the firing order that is on the engine intake manifold. Provided that it is for that motor, your engine should fire. Thats where I started because I had no idea which motor I had. I now have a motor that starts right up and runs smooth. Let me know how it turns out.....Andrew"

Back