Logo

How to Keep Carbs in Tip Top Shape

bbaker

"After talking with my Honda d

"After talking with my Honda dealer he said the Carbs on these Honda 4 Strokes have very tight passages, and if needed a rebuild could run in the $400 plus range. He said it was the only Carb class he's ever been too where they handed out small wire as you walked in the door...LOL

After reading a bunch on this site... I hear everything from make sure to use Sea Foam, gas treatments, to draining the carbs after every use.

My mechanic recomends the new Marine Sta-bil (blue) and Quikleen with every tank, due to the high water issues with ethanol. Does anyone have similar or different advice?

Also draining the carbs.... Ok to unhook fuel line and let engine run until it kills itself?
Would doing this harm the fuel pump?

Thanks,
Bob"

"Bob, the most important thing

"Bob, the most important thing is clean fuel reaching the carbs. Use a good quality spin on filter/water seperator or Racor type. These will keep foreign material out of the carbs. If you are using the engines regularily you don't need to drain the carbs. If it is going to sit for a few weeks then run them dry. I also installed stainless ball valves on each feul line at the spin on filter. I close them off at the end of the day so that fuel doesn't drain back from the engine. I want the carbs to remain full if I'm using the boat often."

"I have a spin on water fuel s

"I have a spin on water fuel separator. Had a Mallory filter on when purchased and changed to a Mercury filter when winterized last Nov. (08)
Still had to flush carborater this spring. Not sure if the shop that winterized it actually drain the carbs.

Did you install the shut off valve above or below the filter?

Thanks,"

"I am running a Yamaha 90TLRP

"I am running a Yamaha 90TLRP two-stroke as well as a Honda BF100 as a 'kicker' off one 10 micron Water Separating Fuel Filter.

To prevent the draw from engine running from ever draining the fuel from the not-running engine's fuel line,I have installed "Anti-Siphon" or spring/ball Check-Valves at each engines feed line at the filter.
282287.jpg

(Brass Check-Valve is on left and other one is Aluminum on Brass elbow due to clearance.)

url]

(just click the URL above to see a sharper photo)

Note that I have placed the Primer Bulb (only one) between Fuel Filter and Tank Supply, this allows filling and pressurization of filter and all the lines and any 'pin-hole' leaks will be seen.

Disconnecting and running out won't harm fuel pump but I once had that stick a float to bottom of carb after too long time sitting.

The Honda has a valve to drain bowl and there is usually a 1/4 teaspoon or so left after running dry."

"pilot, your primer bulb will

"pilot, your primer bulb will work even better if it is not laying completly horizontal...the engine end should be elevated to allow the check valve inside to work effeciently."

"Yes, I just placed it in that

"Yes, I just placed it in that position to show in the photo. (lot of extra gas line)

It is usually vertical with the red (intake from Main Fuel Tank) end at lower end.

Primary Bulb's check-valve springs are weak and don't hold unless positioned properly.

This was why I had to install the check-valves at the filter, after a few months use, once experienced the Honda suck the Yamaha's fuel line dry.
"

"yes use stabil or seafoam, i

"yes use stabil or seafoam, i use FP-60, nascar uses it http://lubecontrol.com/fuel.htm

do not pull fuel line and run motor
after done trailering, un-screw the drain on carbs

you do not wan to trailer a boat with no gas in the carbs"

"Thanks for the posts. Ok thi

"Thanks for the posts. Ok this might be a silly question... But why would you not want to trailer a motor with no fuel? Will the float bounce up and down, and possibly knock off the needle/seat? Never thought of this..."

Ok lets not over do it use a f

Ok lets not over do it use a fuel treatment on a reg. bas. Make sure you have water sep you can drain

Back