Logo

Overheat

M

mark liebrecht

" Please help, I have a 22&#39

" Please help, I have a 22' center counsel with a 30A and have had it maintained and extremely well kept. Just last season new coolers, turbo , injectors etc. The boat ran fine and all was great. The other week coming out of the harbor my temp. alarm and temp. gage were high. I immediately shut down after about 40 minutes I realized that I had sucked up a plastic bag or thin film that was blocking my raw water intake. After removing the boat was restared and seemed to run fine, no more overheat later on I did check in the engine compartment and noticed smoke coming out of the crank case air breather. I immediately took the boat into my Volvo dealer (CA) and reported this to my insurance. Everything seemed fine they were O.K.with this. My mechanic found a damaged #1 cylinder and a cracked head. Upon reporting this to my insurance they came back and said that a cracked head is not consistant with a minor over heat and that I should have damage to all cylinders not just the one and thus this was a mechanical failure and NOT related to an overheat. Then they said that this was due to a bad design by Volvo? My mechanic said that they are just trying to weasel and has himself written a letter to them contadicting their review. Can anyone please help!! Mark "

" We have had a lot of problem

" We have had a lot of problems like this with insurance companys. They don't make money by paying claims, so they try not to pay them if they can. Anything can happen when it comes to overheating, especially when there is no water getting to the engine at all, they will always break at the weakest point, weather its any of the cylinders, heads or whatever. The best solution we've found is to go to 3 or 4 dealers/mechanics and get a written peice of paper signed by each of them that states that it is possible for an overheat to cause the problems you have. Most of the time they change their mind and pay the claim, and if they don't then you now have 3 or 4 mechanics standing behind you in court when you sue their ass. "

Back