Logo

Engine in or out of the water prop

cteam

I have a 20 foot deckboat with

I have a 20 foot deckboat with a 200 HO Suski outboard. I live on a fresh water lake and want to know when I came back to my c=dock after using the baost whould I leave the prop in the water with the battery switch on or do I tilt it all the way up out of the water and turn the battery off. I am told all kinds of diffeernt things and od not know the right thing to do. Any help?

I can't think of any reaso

I can't think of any reason why you would be better off leaving the lower unit in the water. I think you would always be better off tilting it clear of the water if possible. Battery off helps avoid accidental discharge. I can't confirm if it helps avoid elctrolitic corrosion.
Chuck

"The prevailing theory is this

"The prevailing theory is this: If the LU can be tilted high enough so that ALL of it is out of the water, then this is the best arrangement. But, if part of the LU stays in the water at full up tilt, this is the WORST possible arangement. Not only are the galvanic protection 'zincs' in the air, you have the meeting zone of air and water to accelerate corrosion. So in this case, the LU is best left submerged.

On the battery switch: Unless you have a voltage leakage problem (into the water) then turning off the batt switch should make no difference. I have an aluminum boat, and I never turn the batt switches off.

Jeff"

Back