Logo

KAD44P Volvo Penta engine problems

R

R and K

" We have KAD44P Volvo Penta

" We have KAD44P Volvo Penta engine.

I was hoping you may give me some professional insight on some matters I had with them lately.

While I was in the US for about 4 months I did not take the boats out to sea. Although they were in the water I had someone 1 time a week start them up and let them run for a while.

When I took one boat out and put the throttle forward to give it more speed it would only go about 20 knots, it seem there was no kick to it like the other boat we have which is the same.

I came back to dock and check the clear bulb gas filter and saw some black sludge in it and open it up and pulled out the filter and some black sludge came out. I totally took the bulb filter out and cleaned it and put a new filter in it. Also, I changed the gas filter which is next to the oil filter.

I then had to vent the line and got it going again.

When I then took it out it seemed like it had more speed and I got up to 30 knots full throttle, that
is all it would go.

Do you have some suggestions why it may not go faster and also it takes a while to reach 30 knots, not like before where it would just take off like a jet.

Also, when we were coming back into the dock I saw my battery warning light come on and then my temperature light. I open up the hood and saw that it was over heating. I looked at the belts and saw the lower inner belt which is wide and flat in nature torn to sheds.

I looked in my manual and it kind of shows how to change the belts. It seems like I have to take off all the belts to replace this one. Is there anything that I may need to do that is very important when I put on this belt or all the belts?

I appreciate any advise that you may be able to give me. "

" R&K,

Sounds like you

" R&K,

Sounds like you may have an algae problem with you fuel. Get some professional help in determine fuel situation and corrective action.

What is the engine rpm @ 30 Knots ? Was the boat faster before ?

You need to pay attention to the manual when replacing the belt in particular the tension procedure. If unsure get a dealer involved.

Karl "

" Our main belt got shreaded o

" Our main belt got shreaded on our inboard deisel KAD44p engine. When I looked at the pully which is ribbeted the crank shaft pully and the upper pully is all rusted. It look like the rust tore up the belts.

How is the best way to clean it without taking off the pulleys. Someone said I will need new pulleys. I hope not. We do not have any volo mechanics on our island which is
Pohnpei, Micronesia.

Sincerely,

Ray S "

" Ray,

Clean the pulleys wi

" Ray,

Clean the pulleys with a wire brush. Find the cause of the corrosion and fix. Water leak from engine? Leak in engine hatch ?

Karl "

" Thank you carl for your emai

" Thank you carl for your email.

my inboard engine sits about 8" from the bottom of the boat were there is a pump that pumps out the water when the compartment is filled up. That seems like the cause. Maybe one time it was to full and salt water was splashing on the pulleys.

Is it ok to use sand paper, we tried a wire brush and some w240 but it is still rough.

I have some red belt spray will that help protect the belts and pully from getting rusted.

Ray S. "

" Karl,

Do you know how to

" Karl,

Do you know how to bleed the air out of the hydralic line that moves the engine up and down?

Thank you,

Ray "

" Ray,

If you mean the hydr

" Ray,

If you mean the hydralic system that moves the stern-drive up and down the answer is no need to - the system will bleed itself

Karl "

"Was wondering if anyone has r

"Was wondering if anyone has re-routed the crankcase vent on a KAD44, possiably to the air intake. Was wondering about problems with the compressor when doing this?"

Back