Logo

Ford 351 spark plug removal

R

Rick Soper

I have a 1994 Ford 351 in a Fo

I have a 1994 Ford 351 in a Four Winns. Can somebody tell me how to get the spark plugs out that are behind the exhaust manifold? Is their a special 5/8ths plug wrench that is longer than normal that is used? I tried twice with two different wrenches and the clearance is very tight. Thanks in advance.

"Use a box wrench to loosen it

"Use a box wrench to loosen it and if you have an old spark plug wire, cut the boot off about 4" from the end to use that to rotate it out and in to the point that you need the wrench.

My wrenches are Snap-On but if you have Craftsman wrenches, it may not fit unless you want to just buy one of their higher-end wrenches that are basically the same as mine. Just get the one that fits the spark plug (5/8")."

Your spark plug socket should

Your spark plug socket should accept an open ended wrench on the end (I think it is 3/4"- my craftsman is) put the socket on the plug and then use the open end wrench on the top of the socket to break it loose. I have a 94 5.8L also- changed plugs last weekend. Make sure socket is all the way on or you may crack the plug!!

"The socket getting stuck is t

"The socket getting stuck is the reason I switched to using a box wrench. Much easier and with the spark plug wire/boot, I didn't have to worry about getting burned when I removed it. PCM motors were the worst, especially from the '70s and early '80s. GM are a lot easier to work on since the plugs aren't at such a weird angle."

"What I did was bought a wrenc

"What I did was bought a wrench from flea market, then cut the wrench about 2 inch down from the closed end and used it. I could not get it to turn before I cut it, because it hit the floor. I have the wrench in the glove box, that way I know what it is for. I have a 1975 OMC with a ford 302"

Back