Logo

Advice on Perkins engines

scooter2470

"I am looking at purchasing a

"I am looking at purchasing a trawler with twin Perkins Range4 165M's(T6.3541). Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for, or be aware of with these engines? I am relatively new with diesel power so, I am just looking for some advice before I pursue this further. Thanks for your help."

"Hi Scott,

If all of your e

"Hi Scott,

If all of your experience has been with Gasoline engines the most important thing you must do is provide a Diesel engine with CLEAN FUEL and Clean AIR.

If not they choke and die!

There is a type of BACTERIA that like to set up housekeeping in Diesel fuel tanks and their WASTE PRODUCTS are WATER and SLUDGE. The Sludge is made up of the bodies of the Bacteria that have died.

Get a good Technical paper on Diesel fuel and READ IT.

So be sure the engines have been serviced properly during their life time (get repair records if available) and be sure the fuel system has at least 2 filters. One of the filters MUST be a water seperating filter such as RACORE.

Also...you MUST add a BIOCIDE (such as Biobore) to your fuel tank if they are not going to be used up every month and re-filled with fresh fuel.

Check the fuel tank(s) for cleaness and get a good Mechanical system surveyor to go over the engines before you sign on the dotted line!!!

You wil find that each engine has it's own quirks that must be learned to get them to run properly.

Good Luck"

"Crankcase oil for diesels is

"Crankcase oil for diesels is rated differently from oil that is for gasoline engines only. Do not use oil that is for gasoline engines only.
It is normal for crankcase oil in a diesel engine to get dark more quickly than in a gasoline engine. It is a myth, however that you sould go longer between oil changes. If anything, you should change it more often than in a gasoline engine. As with any engine, frequent oil changes is the key to longevity."

Go buy Nigel Caulder's boo

Go buy Nigel Caulder's book on Marine Diesel's. It will be the best $15 bucks you'll ever spend.

"Ref. Order 50242 of 4/11/2008

"Ref. Order 50242 of 4/11/2008
Sirs,
I have received my order above - manual for Perkins 4.236 engines - and I wish to express my deep disappointment. What I got is clearly the copy of a copy of a copy of ... as ALL pictures in it are nothing else than black spots in which is impossible to detect any details.
It's really unacceptable, I don't think I will ever buy anything or recommend you to friends.
Regards
Riccardo Magnatantini"

Back