Logo

1978 mercruise upgrade to vortex engine

M

MARK BABB

What needs to be changed in or

What needs to be changed in order to upgrade to a newer year/vortex model engine and keep existing alpha drive. I have a 1978 350 mercruise engine that went bad and see specials on vortex engines. I want to upgrade but don't know if it will be too hard on old outdrive and what coupling modifications are necessary. Flywheel?

"If you retain the original ac

"If you retain the original accessories and bell housing, there is a flywheel and mercruiser makes the correct coupler to retrofit the newer engine. The MR that you have is a fairly reliable drive but is also 30 years old."

I am trying to find out if the

I am trying to find out if there is a flapper type valve at the bottom of the y pipe. I think I found part of it in the exhaust bellow. I have the engine out of the boat and if it is necessary that I replace it I'd like to do it now. I can't seem to find it in any parts listing.

"Mark, There are two flappers

"Mark, There are two flappers in a V-engine. They are located in the exhaust pipe where the second rubber coupler meets the Y-pipe. Yes, they do fail. Years ago, my Mercruiser mechanic told me that replacement was not required. I did not replace them and have had no issues.

On the original question. I understand the Vortex engine has a different intake manifold bolt pattern than the non-vortex. (Different number of bolts)"

Back