Logo

1973 Fresh Water cooled 318 Leaking Oil

johnnyred

"I bought a 24 Fiberglass Lyma

"I bought a 24 Fiberglass Lyman built in 1973. It still has the original 318/velvet drive in it. The guy who was selling it gave it away as he was moving. The bilge is full of oil, and I have to pull the engine to fix it. I am thinking of replacing the engine, and everyone is telling me to go with a GM package. I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks"

Why? The Chrysler engine is c

Why? The Chrysler engine is cheaper to rebuild. Go on-line and look at prices for long blocks--the Chryslers are a bargin! And you have all of the external parts already.

Jeff

"Fast Jeff,

Many thanks for

"Fast Jeff,

Many thanks for the response. I can get a rebuilt long block 318 for about $1500, my concern is the Original oil pan. If I am not mistaken, they are aluminum, and not sure if mine is still good. Are they tough to come by? I can get all the manifolds, risers, engine mounts etc, and the fresh water cooling system looks brand new, but what about the oil pan? Not been able to find one which is new or after market. Any Thoughts?

Thanks"

"for the oil pan, try contacti

"for the oil pan, try contacting Sam at Wickford Marine consignment in RI. [email protected] or call any day but Tuesday between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm 401-295-9709 I recall seeing a Chysler oil pan and bell housing there at the beginning of the summer. Don't know if they are still available.

also online:
http://www.hurrikain.com/Chrysler-oilpans.htm
pricey about $400 for a cast aluminum pan. plus the cost of disptick, gaskets etc."

Back