Logo

Higher than rated fuel usage

J

jeff carson

i got a 30 foot dorado with a

i got a 30 foot dorado with a kad44 volvo penta. they clame that i should be getting 5-7 mile to the gallon. i seem to get 2 no mater how i run the boat. the same as when i bought it. there is no smoke and the out of the hole seems fine. i only turn about 3300 rpm at top. i also talked to dorado and the feel that i am proped on the light side so there must be engine trouble. noone seems to be able to tell me where to start.

"I'd take what "they&#

"I'd take what "they" said with a grain of salt. If I've heard it once I've heard it a thousand times all my life about fuel consumption. Most likely the 2 MPG is good. Generally if your engine is not misfiring, running clean, your about where you should be. Other than that is your prop condition and growth on bottom of hull but this would account for only a part of one mile per gallon."

Jeff you should be doing bette

Jeff you should be doing better than that on mpg unless you have a full tower and a huge load. My 29 seavee has the same engine and I average 3.5 and can get 4 on nice days on a run of 160 miles or so with 100 miles of running and 60 miles of trolling. You have some type of issue with the engine or you are overpropped as it should turn 3800 rpm at the top.

"thanks for the replys. i stor

"thanks for the replys. i store the boat out of water, so the bottom is clean and the props are good."

Back