Logo

Draining water on 2003 Mercruiser 30L STD Cooling amp wo PS

mercruiser

"Hello All,

This is my firs

"Hello All,

This is my first "do-it-yourself" winterizing on 2003 Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha 1 with standard cooling system and no power steering. Everything went well according to the instructions from the Clymer Mercruiser Repair manual. However, there is an unclear issue about draining the water out of the engine and the drive that was not detailed in the manual. As my understanding, the objective of this service is to remove water out of the system completely to avoid freeze damage.
My engine had a single-point drainage that combined two quick disconnect hoses from the manifold and engine block. According to the manual, I disconnected and held them below the engine block to drain water out completely. This step is done easily. What's about the drive unit? How do I get the water out of the water pump and inside the hose connected to the engine?
This has bothered me enough and I would appreciate someone clearing me out this issue so I would not see a surprise in next spring."

"Hello Ki Tran:

The outdriv

"Hello Ki Tran:

The outdrive is self draining. When you pull it out of the water and trim it in the level down position the water has no choice but to drain out of it. I also bump the key to turn the engine over to remove any small amout of water out of the water pump. You don't want the engine to start just turn over a few times to burp the water out. I do this on my own engine with the blue hoses in the draining position just to make sure all water is "spit" out. I also go a step further and then refill the engine and manifold with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze.

When it is 5*F outside on a cold night I can sleep easy knowing everything is just fine.

Take care,

T."

"Hi T. Blackmore.

Thank you

"Hi T. Blackmore.

Thank you for your feedback.
So, there is nothing more I need to do beside drainging the manifold hose and the block hose?
Are you using 50/50 mix of antifreeze to flush the system or to store it in the system? and how do you fill it in the system?

Thanks,

Ki"

"Ki:
Did you remove the upper

"Ki:
Did you remove the upper part of the engine water circulating pump hose at the thermostat housing and lower it to drain any water? I pour a gallon or two of undiluted pink RV/Marine antifreeze into the hose and do the same for the exhaust manifold hoses attached to the thermostat housing--about 1/2 gallon for each hose. When the pink has run a few seconds out of the outdrive, I stop."

".."I also go a step furth

".."I also go a step further and then refill the engine and manifold with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. "

Okay, but DON'T dilute the Pink Stuff--it looses its ability to protect the motor. Dilute only hte regular anti-freeze.

Jeff"

"To all,
I also drain the blo

"To all,
I also drain the block and manifold, remove the hoses and add a 50/50 mix and never had a problem, even at 20 below zero. But please remember to drain the anti-freeze from the system in the same way in the spring so it doesn't drain into our lakes and rivers. If you park on a hill and pull the drain plug from the transom you can collect the anti-freeze for reuse the following year since it is never used in a running engine. Good luck! Rob"

Back