Logo

Anti Freeze

W

W. Sadler

"Is there any good way to fill

"Is there any good way to fill my engine and water pump (engine mounted) with anti-freeze without having to start my boat. It has been fogged already and all water is drained. I like the idea of having the extra freeze and corrosion protection of the RV anti freeze(does anyone here do this?, Do marineas do this as part of their winterization process?). I have a 1994 5.8L cobra. Thanks"

"First of all, the block is ca

"First of all, the block is cast iron and it will rust whether you use anti-freeze or not. If I didn't want to start it, I would find a way to pump it in from the bottom (block plug locations) after removing the thermostat. If the hoses are taken off at the bottom fittings and you pump in enough that it comes out of the exhaust freely and pink, you should be OK. Ultimately, it's your decision to use it or not. If the block is definitely without water and the hoses have been removed, I don't have a problem with not using it and when I went to Mastercraft training, the instructor, who I respect greatly, told us how he did it when he owned a service shop in northern Indiana (no anti-freeze).

I don't know what marinas do, the dealerships I worked for used it."

",,,"First of all, the blo

",,,"First of all, the block is cast iron and it will rust whether you use anti-freeze or not."

It will rust a hellova lot faster with air in there!

W: Why worry about starting the boat out of the water? The setup you have--raw water pump mounted on the motor--is the easiest one going to winterize! Drain the block and mainfolds, and remove the thermostats. Break the hose going to the raw water pump free and pour Pink Stuff down a funnel into the hose. When you see the punk stuff coming out the back, you're all set.

Jeff

PS: One of thos winterizing plastic jugs sold by marine stores (with the valve at the bottom) maes this job even easier--just shoot the Pink Stuff intothr hose.

PPS: Good time to install a new thermostat."

Am I supposed to do this with

Am I supposed to do this with the engine running? Cant i just pour the pink stiff in the hoses that go to the manifolds and the other hoses from the t-stat to the circulating pump and the water pump? Also- cant I just remove the t-stat and pour in through there unpil it comes out my block drain holes and put the plugs back in them and call it good?

ps- may just be a spelling eror but you said "thermostat<u>s</u>" I am only aware of one. Just want to double check

"Mine's only a 4.3 V6, but

"Mine's only a 4.3 V6, but I'd imagine the waterpump/thermostat is the same set-up.

Do all this after draining the engine of water, and do not start it. If you can drain the power steering cooler, do that. On mine it's impossibe to get at it, so I remove the main 1" supply hose from the thermostat housing, and blow in it to expell water. Next I pour antifreeze into the hose a couple times and blow it thru the cooler and out thru the outdrive, then reinstall. Next I remove the 1" hoses from the exhaust manifolds and pour directly into them 'til full, and reinstall. Then I remove the big hose from the thermostat housing and pour into the hose (still conected to the water pump). Keep pouring until it comes out the thermostat housing. Engine is now full, and reconnect."

".."Cant i just pour the p

".."Cant i just pour the pink stiff in the hoses that go to the manifolds and the other hoses from the t-stat to the circulating pump and the water pump?"

Sure, but there can be pockets of trapped water in there that might cause damage to your "pocket" (book).

Why the reluctance to running the motor? It's no problem at al, and the protection is best that way--that's how competent marinas do it.

Jeff"

Back