Logo

OLD SEA KING 5 HP

R

RJM600

HI MY NAME IS RICK. I GOT AN

HI MY NAME IS RICK. I GOT AN OLD SEA KING 5 H.P. OFF OF A FRIEND I DON'T KNOW WHAT YEAR IT IS BUT THE MODEL # IS J500-1106C AND THE SERIAL # IS 374613. THE MOTOR HAS NO SPARK AND I DONT KNOW WHERE TO GET PARTS FOR IT BUT I'D REALLY LIKE TO GET IT RUNNING. I DONT REALLY KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS MOTOR OR THE MAKER OF IT.

" Rick...The "Sea King&#34

" Rick...The "Sea King" was made by Montgomery Wards but it was actually a test bed for the OMC Johnson & Evinrude outboards. OMC, way back when, had engines made by various names, incorporating new features, which if passed the testing, was incorporated into the next years Johnson & Evinrude engines. Sea King was one of these. In essence, your engine is actually a Evinrude or Johnson outboard when you look at it from a parts maintenance veiwpoint. However, in looking through my old books which list the "Sea King" engines, I can not find the model number of J500-1106C. Look the engine over again to see if you can find some number such as 5S10,5S11,5S12,5D10, 5D11, something of that nature. The ignition points would be OMC #580148 (set at .020). Set by lining up crankshaft keyway with the fiber portion of the ign points that rides on the cam, which would be the widest opening point. Conderser would be OMC #580321 but if not available, use OMC #581419.The ignition coil numbers superceed up as follows: 580118 - 580416 - 582370 - 582931 - 582995 - 584477 (584477 being the latest one). However, you can safely use any of these coils. Points average about $5.50ea, condensers about $3.50ea, and coils about $23.00ea. Notice where the coils meet the seating area. You'll see a slight bevel at the top of the seat. The outside of the coil must line up with the inside top of that bevel when you tighten it down, otherwise the flywheel magnets will hit and destroy the coils as they turn past them. Hope this helps you somewhat. Now.... search for that other model number, either on a plate or imprinted on the engine somewhere. It should be on a plate. Let me know what you find. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

HI JOE THANKS ALOT FOR RESPON

HI JOE THANKS ALOT FOR RESPONDING.I HAVE THE 5 H.P. SEAKING.I DOUBLE CHECKED THE PLATE AND THOSE NUMBERS ON THE PLATE ARE THE SAME THE PLATE SAYS CLINTON ENGINE CORP MODEL#J500-1106C SERIAL#374613 TYPE#XTV27005B THE MOTOR IS TAN AND BROWN

" Rick.... Although the "S

" Rick.... Although the "Sea King" engine was as I mentioned handled through Montgomery Wards, you have just added in your reply that the plate states that it is a "Clinton Engine Corp" model. Suddenly it is s different ball game. Clinton was also a manufacturer of outboards but was mainly know for manufacturing a "Air Cooled" engine. Frankly I haven't heard of a Clinton engine named a "Sea King" but from what you've added, I am now of the opinion that you DO NOT have the Wards Sea King model engine. In short, disregard my previous reply and the information. "

HI JOE I DONT KNOW WHAT IS GO

HI JOE I DONT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON HERE WITH THIS 5 H.P SEA KING OR WHATEVER IT IS. THE HOOD THAT COVERS THE ENGINE IS TAN AND BROWN IT SAYS WARDS SEA KING ON IT BUT THE METAL PLATE SAYS CLINTON ENGINES CORP. THE MOTOR DOESNT SEEM TO BE MIXMATCHED IN ANY WAY IT ALL SEEMS TO LOOK LIKE IT CAME TOGETHER .BUT MY FRIEND WHO I GOT IT OFF OF DID TELL ME THAT IT WAS AN AIR COOLED ENGINE. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO TO GET THIS THING FIXED.IT APPEARS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE AND SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD COMPRESSION.HOW CAN I TELL WHAT THIS THING IS?

" I also have a Wards Sea King

" I also have a Wards Sea King by Clinton. Model # XTV.52329A, s/n 1602954, type # 900-7106A. Could anyone please tell me what year it is and HP? Thank you. "

Back