Logo

Outdrive Scum

regalman

"Short and simple. My outdrive

"Short and simple. My outdrive (Alpha-1) is caked with algae and scum from being in the water all season. Power washing did not remove all of it and neither did the Starbrite Hull Cleaner I used. Can anyone tell me what I can use to remove this scum and algae from the outdrive without damaging anything..like hoses, etc.? Unfortunately it's dry now.
Thanks."

Muriatic acid. Wear gloves an

Muriatic acid. Wear gloves and goggles. Long sleeve shirt too. Hose off immediately. Careful.

"Joe: Muriatic acid is strong

"Joe: Muriatic acid is strong stuff and the fumes can knock you unconscious. The acid will burn the skin right off your body and eat your clothes if you are not careful as Poop....says.

I wear a rubber rain coat and pants along with heavy duty rubber gloves and a face shield. A cheap method is to get a 1/2 dozen cheap quart bottles of 33% acid toilet bowl cleaner and squirt it on, let it work a few minutes and scrub it with a long handle bristle brush and spray it off. Repeat as needed. Do it at a carwash. The more expensive gel type cleaners have less acid but stick to it better.

The cheap cleaner also cleans dirt, scum and light barnacles off the hull of fiberglass boats."

I have used CLR and Zing for c

I have used CLR and Zing for cleaning outdrives. Both contain acid but they aren't super strong.

Take the usual precautions for using acid.

"Joe: I forgot about PEROXIDE

"Joe: I forgot about PEROXIDE. It's cheap and it readily cleans organic residue with a foaming action. Put it in a pump spray bottle and wet the affected areas. Hit it with a scrub brush and carwash pressure washer but avoid any rubber parst, bellows, etc. with the pressure wand; it'll come off. Repeat as needed including the ELBOW GREASE."

Thanks for all the great advic

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm working on it this weekend and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Back