Logo

Holy Barnacles

Just pulled my boat for the se

Just pulled my boat for the season and the drives (alpha ones) and tabs were loaded with Barnacles! I scraped for 6 hours and still have more to reach in to. No wonder the boat was getting so slow. Even the bellows have some on them. I painted the drives with Interlux Trilux 33 ($65.00 )Three coats. I also went over this with the outdrive spray paint from Interlux. Any suggestion on how to prep the drives for next year to avoid this Barnacle growth? The boat is moored in a river in CT with a constant 3-4 kt tide.

"Don't leave it in the wat

"Don't leave it in the water! (Sorry.) Hey, here on the upper Chesapeake Bay we also had a severe barnacle problem this year--marinas were hauling boats right and left for a scrape job.

Question: Did you put the Trilux 33 on BEFORE the season, or just now (not sure from your post). I have an alumium boat and use Trilux on the hull and those ~@^%% critters didn't adhere to it. They coated the prop, shafts, zincs and other unpainted surfaces very well, however. At one time the prop blades had so many barnacles the boat wouldn't plane off!

Jeff"

"No, I put the paint on before

"No, I put the paint on before the season. Freshly painted when it went in. Frustrating! I guess I will need a mid season haul & scrap next year."

"I had similar issue in the Ba

"I had similar issue in the Barneget Bay in NJ. We thought we prepped it well (outdrive spray paint) but we did a whole lot of scraping when we took her out(only on the outdrive / the bottom of the boat was fine). For the future, you also need to think about the water inlets as mine were filled with barnacles as well - to the point I'm surprised I didn't see an increase in running temperature."

No Barnacles on the Potomac in

No Barnacles on the Potomac in Washington DC. But the real question for Fast Jeff: "Can that motor yacht thing in your picture really get on plane?"

".." "Can that motor y

".." "Can that motor yacht thing in your picture really get on plane?""

Let me put it this way...When I crack those throttle full open, you'd better be hanging on! The "Admiral" forgot to warn me one day when I was videoing, and I went flying backwards, destroying a deck chair in the process. (I have it all on tape. Hilarious!)

Marinettes are light boats for their size--my 32 footers is 10,500 lbs. unloaded. With 318s they jump out of the water, and I've got 360s in there, pardner! They also get far better gas mileage than some of those heavier, plastuc boats, which was a nice feature this summer.

Jeff"

"Sorry, FJ!! Thought that migh

"Sorry, FJ!! Thought that might have been a 1966 Owens wood boat with twin flat head Packard plants or something.

Kidding you. With you on the wrench, I'm sure it will pull multiple skiers if needed. cheers"

"Hee, hee..

Know what you m

"Hee, hee..

Know what you mean about some of those wallowing slugs out there, the old Carver Mariner being my favorite whipping boy. They need at least 3,500 rpms from both engines just to stay on a plane.

Jeff"

Back