Logo

Winterization 911

W

W. Sadler

My 1994 5.8L calls out for 6 q

My 1994 5.8L calls out for 6 qts but I only put 4 in and the dipstick says it is full(i just decided to check after emptying the first gallon). I went as far as removing the brass dipstick fitting on the oil pan to let every last drop of oil out and make sure that there wasnt a qt or 2 left i the pan (can I just reinstall this plug like a reg drain plug?). Not much came out. I only sucked about 3 3/4 qts. out of the dipstick tube though. The dipstick is giving me wacky readings too: when I put it in one way it tells me im full with only 4 qts and if I turn it around it shows almoast nothing! Ideas? Any and all help is greatly welcomed. It must be done this weekend.

"You don't mention the oil

"You don't mention the oil filter, have you changed that as well (you should) that will take the oil level down some when started. Is the oil filter attached to the block or do you have a remote filter? Also not sure if you may have an oil cooler as well, the hoses for the remote filter and cooler can hold a fair bit of oil."

Back