Logo

Oil headache

W

W. Sadler

I have just done an oil change

I have just done an oil change on my 1994 omc 5.8L and I have a problem. I used a drill powered suction pump on the dipstick tube which attaches to the oil pan. I only got about 3 1/2 quarts out not including what was in the oil filter. (I did warm the engine up). My SELOC manual states that the pan should hold 6qts. w/ filter when full. I decided to take the brass fitting on the side of the pan off and drain what was left(was this a bad idea?). Not much came out. I refilled 4qts and the dipstick tells me the engine is full but if I turn the dipstick so the handle faces the other way it has nothing on it. In other words only one side of the dipstick gets any oil on it. Does the bolt that goes through the brass fitting on the oilpan have to stop at a certiant point or can I just tighten it like a reg drain plug? Does anyone have this setup? How can i be sure that im getting an accurate reading? Should I put six in and see if the reading changes? HELP!!!!

"If the manual calls for six q

"If the manual calls for six quarts then add six quarts. When the engine is started some of the oil is going into the filter which in most engines is almost a quart.

As for the reading on the stick ,I have seen sticks that for some unknown reason will read different on one side from the other.

I always fill the low side reading just to be safe."

Back