Logo

Winterize

hoys2006

I was told to cut the end of a

I was told to cut the end of a hose and attach to the ear muffs and put other end into a jug of RV antifreeze and run motor until empty and it comes out the exhaust to ensure motor is full of antifreeze.I would like to know if this is a practical way to winterize a 1973 Ford 302 Mercruiser in New England. Thanks for your insight.

I don't think so.
The sy

I don't think so.
The system holds more than a gallon for starters and the water pump is not the type that picks up water. It pushes it so the lower unit needs to be covered in coolant / water whatever just as it is when in the water for the pump to work.

The reason a hose from a building works is it has pressure pushing the water into the pump.

All you are going to do is burn up the impeller as soon as you start the engine.

"It's a practical way to d

"It's a practical way to do it of there's some pressure, as charli said. If you have a spare bilge pump, it'll work until the raw water pump needs a lot more than the bilge pump can supply. Also, as he said, you need more than one gallon. I would recommend buying 5 gallons. It's cheap enough that saving $4 isn't worth it by using three gallons, which is close to what the system will hold if the exhaust manifolds are included. A car cooling system holds about 3 gallons and running more anti-freeze that it holds won't hurt anything. Make sure to remove all of the plugs briefly, long enough to collect a couple of ounces and check for the color. If it's definitely a shade of the anti-freeze, you should be OK. If it's clear, you need to keep doing it."

Back