Logo

Cost of replacing OMC 23 shift cables

J

JayBird119

Does anyoe have a estimate on

Does anyoe have a estimate on the cost of replacing the shift cables on my 87 OMC 2.3?

"Depends on the workshop. I us

"Depends on the workshop. I used to invoice 1 hour for the technical part, not including lifting and final sea trial. If severe corrosion anywhere, added 1/2 hour. Might be smart to have the joint bellow changed at the same time as it almost is 'included' in the operation."

Which cables? The ones from th

Which cables? The ones from the remote or the ones to the drive?

I would like to replace all th

I would like to replace all the cables. The boat is hard to get into gear. And I have heard that mis-adjusted or worn cables can eat a Cobra gear set.

"My 'estimate' was the

"My 'estimate' was the transom shift cable only, and note I had all the needed fixtures that makes life easier. As for the binacle-engine cable it all depends on type of controle (top,concealed), routing of cable etc. If You are unlucky the boatbuilder tied it all together with tie-strips and cable harness which really will make it Your day! If the cable is in a tubing or partly 'hidden' remember to attach a rope before pulling it out."

"Well this could be expensive

"Well this could be expensive for as Morten pointed out, the remote cable is in most cases is put on the floor and the boat is build around it(it seems this way at times).
So without seeing the boat I can't say just how much work / time would be needed for changing out the remote cables.
I have had some that take an hour and others that took most of the day because of all the tie wraps,cable retainers,seats etc,that were in the way.
The best thing is to have the cables tested.

Unless this is an old boat that has been left out most of it's life the chances of the remote cables being bad are slim.

Just disconnect the cables at the stern and see if the remote operates easy. If the remote moves free then just replace the drive cables.

The drive cables most of the time are the cause of hard shifting.
Remote cables last a long time.

But if this boat has been around salt water,that's a different story."

Back